Establishing a Method to Monitor Transition Planning and Track Patient Outcomes Following Transfer
Tracking patient progress, transition planning, and patient outcomes before, during, and after transfer are critical components of any healthcare transition program. Creating and maintaining a transition data registry can serve to facilitate these processes for a clinician or healthcare practice. This chapter reviews the key components of a transition registry, including the purpose of a registry, why it is important to track healthcare transition preparation processes, the necessary steps in establishing and maintaining a registry, the various uses of a registry, and the value of a registry in tracking population-based measures for practice-based quality improvement.
KeywordsPatient progress Transition planning Patient outcomes Transfer HCT
- 1.American Academy of Pediatrics; American Academy of Family Physicians; American College of Physicians; Transitions Clinical Report Authoring Group, Cooley WC, Sagerman PJ. Supporting the health care transition from adolescence to adulthood in the medical home. Pediatrics. 2011;128(1):182–200.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.http://www.gottransition.org/resources/index.cfm. Accessed 23 Sept 2017.
- 12.Wiemann CM, Hergenroeder AC, Bartley KA, Sanchez-Fournier B, Hilliard ME, Warren LJ, Graham SC. Integrating an EMR-based transition planning tool for CYSHCN at a Children’s Hospital: a quality improvement project to increase provider use and satisfaction. J Pediatr Nurs. 2015;30(5):776–87.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Fair C, Cuttance J, Sharma N, Maslow G, Wiener L, Betz C, Porter J, McLaughlin S, Gilleland-Marchak J, Renwick A, Naranjo D, Jan S, Javalkar K, Ferris M, International and Interdisciplinary Health Care Transition Research Consortium. International and interdisciplinary identification of health care transition outcomes. JAMA Pediatr. 2016;170(3):205–11.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Sawicki GS, Garvey KC, Toomey SL, Williams KA, Chen Y, Hargraves JL, Leblanc J, Schuster MA, Finkelstein JA. Development and validation of the adolescent assessment of preparation for transition: a novel patient experience measure. J Adolesc Health. 2015;57(3):282–7.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar