Warehouse Picking Model for Single Picker Routing Problem in Multi Dimensional Warehouse Layout Using Genetic Algorithm Approach to Minimize Delay
Order picking process is one of the most time-consuming activities at a 3PL’s warehouse system. This paper aims to determine picking process and routing method in finding the optimal order picking by using Single Picker Routing Problem in a multidimensional warehouse. Single Picker Routing Problem (SPRP) is method development of general Traveling Salesman Problem (TSP). SPRP is used to determine the minimum route in picking process to several points including depot areas and choosing a concerned location. In this paper, we develop a model to minimize travel time considering “x-axis”, “y-axis” and “z-axis” (height of racking system) using Genetic Algorithm (GA). Genetic Algorithm as the chosen method is carried out to calculate process quickly because the number of variables in the case study used in. The result of the model is the picking sequence not only considering 2D layout, but also the height of the racking system. By applying the model to the case study, the improvement of picking time is 60%.
KeywordsPicking and routing method Traveling salesman problem (TSP) Single picker routing problem (SPRP)
- 1.Manzini, R.: Warehousing in the Global Supply Chain. Springer, Bologna, London, Dordrecht, Heidelberg (2012)Google Scholar
- 2.Frazelle, E.H.: World-Class Warehousing and Material Handling. McGraw-Hill, Singapore (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Gavish, B., Graves, S.C.: The traveling salesman problem and related problems (1978)Google Scholar
- 5.Henn, S., Scholz, A., Stuhlmann, M., Wascher, G.: A New Mathematical Programming Formulation for the Single-Picker Routing problem in a Single- Block Layout, Working Paper No. 5/2015, Bezug über den Herausgeber (2015). ISSN 1615–4274Google Scholar
- 7.Bottani, E., et al.: Optimisation of storage allocation in order picking operations through a genetic algorithm (2012)Google Scholar