Analysis of Possible Application of Olive Pomace as Biomass Source
The aim of the study was to determine the use of stored olive pomace as a solid biomass for energy purposes. The samples were collected from olive pomace pile stored for three years on Agricultural University in Cracow campus. Samples were taken from three heights and then standardized for each of them. Work has been done to compare energy properties such as calorific value, depending on the sampling depth of the material from the prism.
KeywordsPomaces Storage Energy properties Calorific value Biomass
This research was financed by the Ministry of Science and Higher Education of the Republic of Poland (statutory activities DS-3600/WIPiE/2017, Faculty of Production and Power Engineering, University of Agriculture in Krakow).
- 2.Mudryk, K., Fraczek, J., Slipek, Z., Francik, S., Wrobel, M.: Chosen physico-mechanical properties of cutleaf coneflower (Rudbeckia laciniata L.) shoots. In: 12th International Scientific Conference on Engineering for Rural Development, Engineering for Rural Development (2013), pp. 658–662. ISSN: 1691-3043Google Scholar
- 3.Wrobel, M., Fraczek, J., Francik, S., Slipek, Z., Krzysztof, M.: Influence of degree of fragmentation on chosen quality parameters of briquette made from biomass of cup plant Silphium perfoliatum L. In: 12th International Scientific Conference Engineering for Rural Development, Engineering for Rural Development (2013), pp. 653–657. ISSN: 1691-3043Google Scholar
- 5.Brščić, K., Poljuha, D., Krapac, M.: Olive residues-renewable source of energy. In: Management of Technology-Step to Sustainable Production, Sibenik, 10–12 June 2009, Croatia (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Miranda, T., Arranz, J.I., Montero, I., Roman, S., Rojas, C.V., Nogales, S.: Characterization and combustion of olive pomace and forest residue pellets. Fuel Process. Technol. 103, 91–96 (2012) SI. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuproc.2011.10.016
- 12.Barbanera, M., Lascaro, E., Stanzione, V., Esposito, A., Altieri, R., Bufacchi, M.: Characterization of pellets from mixing olive pomace and olive tree pruning. Renew. Energy 88, 185–191 (2016)Google Scholar
- 13.PN-EN ISO 18134-1:2017-03Google Scholar
- 14.PN-EN ISO 18134-3:2017-03Google Scholar
- 15.Cieślikowski, B., Juliszewski, T., Łapczyńska-Kordon, B.: Utilisation of bio-fuel technology by-products for power production purposes/Utylizacja na cele energetyczne produktów ubocznych technologii biopaliwowej (in Polish). Inżynieria Rolnicza 12 (2006)Google Scholar
- 16.Zabaniotou, A., Rovas, D., Libutti, A., Monteleone, M.: Boosting circular economy and closing the loop in agriculture: case study of a small-scale pyrolysis–biochar based system integrated in an olive farm in symbiosis with an olive mill. Environ. Dev. 14(2015), 22–36 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envdev.2014.12.002 CrossRefGoogle Scholar