A Heuristic History of Global Development Governance Since the 1960s and Turkey
- 269 Downloads
During the 1970s, developed and developing countries entered into a series of negotiations where the latter favoured an interventionist international economic system which would be governed by United Nations resolutions. After a decade of neoliberal dominance in the 1980s, new elements such as environment and individual welfare were introduced into the development debate in the 1990s. The negotiations gradually turned into the pursuit of partnerships among multiple stakeholders. Sustainable Development Goals reintroduced basic concerns such as economic transformation into international development discourse, complementing the overwhelming importance given to individual welfare in the Millennium Development Goals of the 2000s. Turkey seems more comfortable with the cooperative approach than the confrontational one.
KeywordsGlobal Development Governance Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) United Nations Conference On Trade And Development (UNCTAD) New International Economic Order (NIEO) Least Developed Countries (LDCs)
- Akat, Asaf Savaş. 1983. Alternatif Büyüme Stratejisi İlk Baskı. İstanbul: İletişim Yayınları. http://ekitaparsivi.com/uploads/kitap/20160121/o_001887_2012-07-17-153104_e-kitap-arsivi.pdf. Accessed 25 Oct 2017.
- Arda, Mehmet, and Jülide Oğuz. 2015. Development Agencies in Emerging Powers: The Case of Turkey. In Institutional Architecture and Development: Responses from Emerging Powers, ed. Elizabeth Sidiropoulos, Jorge A. Perez Pineda, Sachin Chatuverdi, and Thomas Fues. Cape Town: South African Institute of International Affairs, Cape Town.Google Scholar
- Arda, Mehmet, Çelik Aruoba, and Şevket Pamuk. 1980. Dünya Pamuk Piyasaları, Yeni Düzenleme Önerileri ve Türkiye (World Cotton Markets, New Arrangement Proposals and Turkey), A.Ü Siyasal Bilgiler Fakültesi, Gelişme ve Toplum Araştırmaları Merkezi, Ankara.Google Scholar
- Baba, Gürol, and Senem Ertan. 2016. Turkey at the Bandung Conference: A Fully-Aligned Among the Non-aligned. http://web.isanet.org/Web/Conferences/AP%20Hong%20Kong%202016/Archive/64185d87-7a01-44f1-acbc-1566b192398f.pdf. Accessed 25 Oct 2017.
- Boratav, Korkut. 2015. Türkiye İktisat Tarihi 1908–2009 (Turkish Economic History 1908–2009). Ankara: İmge Kitabevi Yayınları.Google Scholar
- Committee for Development Policy – CDP. 2014. Global Governance and Global Rules for Development in the Post-2015 Era. Policy Note United Nations Sales No. E.14.II.A.1.Google Scholar
- Davutoğlu, Ahmet. 2012. Principles of Turkish Foreign Policy and Regional Political Structuring. Center for Strategic Research Vision Papers No. 3, April. http://sam.gov.tr/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/vision_paper_TFP2.pdf. Accessed 25 Oct 2017.
- Emmerij, Louis, Richard Jolly, and Thomas G. Weiss. 2005. Economic and Social Thinking at the UN in Historical Perspective. Development and Change 36 (2): 211–235. https://tr.scribd.com/document/148825418/Ec-and-Soc-Thinking. Accessed 25 Oct 2017.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jackson, Peter. 2007. A Prehistory of the Millennium Development Goals: Four Decades of Struggle for Development in the United Nations. UN Chronicle, XLIV (4), December. https://unchronicle.un.org/article/prehistory-millennium-development-goals-four-decades-struggle-development-united-nations. Accessed 25 Oct 2017.
- Jolly, Richard. 2006. Sir Hans Singer. The Guardian, March 1. https://www.theguardian.com/business/2006/mar/01/guardianobituaries.germany. Accessed 25 Oct 2017.
- ———. 2013.Underestimated Influence: UN Contributions to Development Ideas, Leadership, Influence and Impact. http://www.developmentideas.info/website/wp-content/uploads/Ch52_UN_Contributions_Richard_Jolly_2013.pdf. Accessed 25 Oct 2017.
- Jolly, Richard, Louis Emmerij, Dharam Ghai, and Frédéric Lapeyre. 2004. UN Contributions to Development Thinking and Practice. Indiana University Press. https://muse.jhu.edu/book/9121. Accessed 25 Oct 2017.
- Karam, John Tofik. 2016. Beside Bandung: Brazil’s Relations Toward the Arab World by John Tofik Karam | University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign LASAFORUM winter 2016, xlvii (1), email@example.com. http://lasa.international.pitt.edu/forum/files/vol47-issue1/Debates5.pdf. Accessed 25 Oct 2017.
- Kuchenberg, Thomas C. 1967. The OECD Consortium to Aid Turkey. Studies in Law and Economic Development 2 (1): 91–106. http://heinonline.org/HOL/LandingPage?handle=hein.journals/gwilr2&div=11&id=&page=
- Meredith, Martin. 2005. The State of Africa; A History of Fifty Years of Independence. London: Free Press.Google Scholar
- Mohanty, Manoranjan. 2015. Bandung Spirit and the New Indian Regime. Latin America in Movement online. https://www.alainet.org/en/articulo/170099. Accessed 25 Oct 2017.
- Mojarov, Alexei, and Mehmet Arda. 2004. Commodities. In Beyond Conventional Wisdom in Development Policy: An intellectual history of UNCAD 1964–2004. New York/Geneva: United Nation.Google Scholar
- Ocampo, José Antonio. 2002. Rethinking the Development Agenda. ECLAC. http://www.cepal.org/noticias/articulos/4/5784/Rethinking-Cambridge-normal-v.pdf. Accessed 25 Oct 2017.
- Pamuk, Şevket. 2014. Türkiye’nin 200 Yıllık İktisadi Tarihi (Turkey’s Economic History of 200 Years). İstanbul: Türkiye İş Bankası Kültür Yayınları.Google Scholar
- Peterson, Harold F. 1964. Argentina and the United States 1810–1960. New York: University Publishers.Google Scholar
- Reid-Henry, Simmon. 2012. US Economist Walt Rostow and His Influence on Post-1945 Development. The Guardian, October 8. https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2012/oct/08/us-economist-walt-rostow-development. Accessed 25 Oct 2017.
- Ricupero, Rubens. 2004. Nine Years at UNCTAD: A Personal Testimony. In Preface to Beyond Conventional Wisdom in Development Policy: An Intellectual History of UNCAD 1964–2004. New York/Geneva: United Nation.Google Scholar
- The New Manifesto. https://steps-centre.org/anewmanifesto/timeline/un-first-development-decade/. Accessed 25 Oct 2017.
- TIKA. 2016. Turkey’s Cooperation with Least Developed Countries. Ankara. http://www.tika.gov.tr/upload/publication/LDC.pdf. Accessed 25 Oct 2017.
- Vos, Rob. 2015. Thought for Food: Strengthening Global Governance of Food Security. CDP Background Paper No. 29 ST/ESA/2015/CDP/29. https://www.un.org/development/desa/dpad/wp-content/uploads/sites/45/publication/CDP-bp-2015-29.pdf. Accessed 25 Oct 2017.