Movie Analytics and the Future of Film Finance. Are Oscars and Box Office Revenue Predictable?
This chapter discusses to which extent modern analytics techniques can help us understand the success of movies, as measured by their box office or attributed Oscars. Interesting lessons emerge from our analyses. Predicting box office revenue on the basis of data available before the release of the movie remains difficult, even with state-of-the-art techniques. Prediction markets are a remarkably powerful tool at predicting success at Oscars. A moderate amount of controversy, as measured by the number of underlying themes raised by movie reviewers, may prove to be helpful in obtaining an Academy Award for Best Picture .
KeywordsBox office revenue Controversy Film financing Data mining Movie analytics Oscars Prediction markets Text mining
- Breiman, L., Friedman, J., Stone, C. J., & Olshen, R. A. (1984). Classification and regression trees. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.Google Scholar
- Brown. C. (2015a). Key considerations in film finance. www.slated.com
- Brown, C. (2015b). Filmed entertainment as an attractive asset class. www.slated.com
- El Assady, M., Hafner, D., Hund, M., Jäger, A., Jentner, W., Rohrdantz, C., et al. (2013). Visual analytics for the prediction of movie rating and box office performance. IEEE VAST Challenge USB Proceedings.Google Scholar
- Freund, Y., & Schapire, R. E. (1996, July). Experiments with a new boosting algorithm. ICML, 96, 148–156.Google Scholar
- Haughton, D., McLaughlin, M.-D., Mentzer, K., & Zhang, C. (2015). Movie analytics. A Hollywood introduction to big data. Heidelberg: Springer.Google Scholar
- Leamer, E. E. (2008). What’s a recession, anyway? (NBER working paper). National Bureau of Economic Research. http://www.nber.org/papers/w14221
- Leonhardt, D. (2015, February 23). Oscars 2015. An excellent night for prediction markets. The New York Times.Google Scholar
- Liu, B. (2011). Web data mining: exploring hyperlinks, contents, and usage data. Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- O’Leary, S., & Sheehan, K. (2008). Building buzz to beat the big boys: word-of-mouth marketing for small businesses. Westport, CT: Praeger.Google Scholar
- Rothschild, D., & Wolfers, J. (2008). Market manipulation muddies election outlook. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122283114935193363.html
- Saxon, I. (2010). Intrade prediction market accuracy and efficiency. An analysis of the 2004 and 2008 Democratic Presidential Nomination Contests. Dissertation, University of Nottingham.Google Scholar
- Zhang, Z., & Li, X. (2010). Controversy in marketing. Mining sentiments in social media. In Proceedings of the 43rd Hawaii international conference on systems sciences.Google Scholar