Bioinspired Strategies for Water Collection and Water Purification
Fresh water sustains human life and is vital for human health. There is enough fresh water for everyone on Earth. However, due to bad economics or poor infrastructure, water scarcity affects more than 40% of the global population and is projected to rise. It is estimated that more than 800 million people do not have access to clean water and over 1.7 billion people are currently living in river basins where water use exceeds recharge.
- Anonymous (2008), Environmental Outlook to 2030, OECD Publishing, Paris, France.Google Scholar
- Anonymous (2009), “Charting Our Water Future: Economic Frameworks to Inform Decision-Making,” see http://www.2030wrg.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Charting-Our-Water-Future-Final.pdf.
- Anonymous (2015a), Water Uses, Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations, see http://www.fao.org/nr/water/aquastat/water_use.
- Anonymous (2015b), Progress on Sanitation and Drinking Water, World Health Organization and UNICEF, WHO Press, Geneva, Switzerland.Google Scholar
- Beresford-Jones, D., Pullen, A. G., Whaley, O. Q., Moat, J., Chauca, G., Cadwallader, L., Arce, S., Orellana, A., Alarcón, C., Gorriti, M., Maita, P. K., Sturt, F., Dupeyron, A., Huaman, O., Lane, K. J., and French, C. (2015), “Re-evaluating the Resource Potential of Lomas Fog Oasis Environments for Preceramic Hunter–gatherers under Past ENSO Modes on the South Coast of Peru,” Quat. Sci. Rev. 129, 196–215.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Brown, P. S. and Bhushan, B. (2015a), “Mechanically Durable, Superoleophobic Coatings Prepared by Layer-by-Layer Technique for Anti-smudge and Oil-Water Separation,” Sci. Rep. Nat. 5, 8701.Google Scholar
- Brown, P. S. and Bhushan, B. (2015b), “Bioinspired, Roughness-Induced, Water and Oil Super-philic and Super-phobic Coatings Prepared by Adaptable Layer-by-Layer Technique,” Sci. Rep. Nat. 5, 14030.Google Scholar
- Chen, Y., Wang, L., Xue, Y., Jiang, L., and Zheng, Y. (2013), “Bioinspired Tilt-Angle Fabricated Structure Gradient Fibers: Micro-drops Fast Transport in a Long-Distance,” Sci. Rep. 3, 2927, pp. 1–8.Google Scholar
- EPA (1995), The Great Lakes: An Environmental Atlas and Resource Book, 3rd ed., EPA, Chicago, IL.Google Scholar
- Garrod, R. P., Harris, L. G., Schofield, W. C. E., McGettrick, J., Ward, L. J., Teare, D. O. H., and Badyal, J. P. S. (2007), “Mimicking a Stenocara Beetle’s Back for Microcondensation Using Plasmachemical Patterned Superhydrophobic-Superhydrophilic Surfaces,” Langmuir 23, 689–693.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ju, J., Bai, H., Zheng, Y., Zhao, T., Fang, R., and Jiang, L. (2012), “A Multi-structural and Multi-functional Integrated Fog Collection System in Cactus,” Nat. Commun. 3, Art. 247.Google Scholar
- Liu, C., Xue, Y., Chen, Y., and Zheng, Y. (2015), “Effective Directional Self-gathering of Drops on Spine of Cactus with Splayed Capillary Arrays,” Sci. Rep. 5, 17757, pp. 1–8.Google Scholar
- Louw, G. N. and Seely, M. K. (1980), “Exploitation of Fog Water by a Perennial Namib Dune Grass, Stipagrotis sabulicola,” S. Afr. J. Sci. 76, 38–39.Google Scholar
- Percec, V., Dulcey, A. E., Balagurusamy, V. S. K., Miura, Y., Smidrkal, J., Peterca, M., Nummelin, S., Edlund, U., Hudson, S. D., Heiney, P. A., Duan, H., Magonov, S. N., and Vinogradov, S. A. (2004), “Self-assembly of Amphiphilic Dendritic Dipeptides into Helical Pores,” Nature 430, 764–768.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pollard, S. J. T., Fowler, G. D., Sollars, C. J., and Perry, R. (1992), “Low-Cost Adsorbents for Waste and Waste-Water Treatment—A Review,” Sci. Total Environ. 116, 31–52.Google Scholar
- Roth-Nebelsick, A., Ebner, M., Miranda, T., Gottschalk, V., Voigt, D., Gorb, S., Stegmaier, T., Sarsour, J., Linke, M., and Konrad, W. (2012), “Leaf Surface Structures Enable the Endemic Namib Desert Grass Stipagrostis sabulicola to Irrigate Itself with Fog Water,” J. R. Soc. Interface 9, 1965–1974.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Shiklomanov, I. A. (1993), “World Fresh Water Resources,” in Water in Crisis: A Guide to the World’s Fresh Water Resources (ed. P. H. Gleick), p. 13, Oxford University Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Shin, Y., Wang, L.-Q., Chang, J. H., Samuels, W. D., and Exarhos, G. J. (2003), “Morphology Control of Hierarchically Ordered Ceramic Materials Prepared by Surfactant-Directed Sol-Gel Mineralization of Wood Cellular Structures,” Stud. Surf. Sci. Catal. 146, 447–451.Google Scholar
- Vesilind, P. J. (2003), “Atacama Desert,” National Geographic (August, 2003) see http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/features/world/south-america/chile/atacama-text.
- Zhao, Y., Qiu, C., Li, X., Vararattanavech, A. Shen, W. Torres, J., Hélix-Nielsen, C., Wang, R., Hu, X., Fane, A. G., and Tang, C. Y. (2012), “Synthesis of Robust and High-Performance Aquaporin-based Biomimetic Membranes by Interfacial Polymerization-Membrane Preparation and RO Performance Characterization,” J. Membr. Sci. 423–424, 422–428.CrossRefGoogle Scholar