Afterword: Multiculturalism Can Foster a New Kind of Post-Brexit Englishness
My Afterword considers the effects of the Brexit vote in Britain and its impact on multiculturalism in the UK. Brexit has seen the rise of a communitarian Englishness that seeks to harden division and distrust shunning both minority identities and a cross-cutting Britishness. This type of nostalgic narrow-minded Englishness can only be countered if there is some basic cross-cultural trust and an acceptance of plural nationalities. Multiculturalism can play a positive role with its central focus on equal citizenship and diverse identities. Its renewing and reforging of nationality suggests how we can be equally sensitive to multiple selves and foster the spirit of belonging.
- Ashcroft, L. 2016. How the United Kingdom Voted on Thursday…and Why. Lord Ashcroft Polls (Online). http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/06/how-the-united-kingdom-voted-and-why/. Accessed 24 August 2017.
- Casciani, D. 2003. UK “Citizenship Test” Unveiled. BBC News (Online). http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2713349.stm. Accessed 24 August 2017.
- Kundnani, A. 2002. The Death of Multiculturalism, Institute of Race Relations (Online). http://www.irr.org.uk/news/the-death-of-multiculturalism/. Accessed 24 August 2017.
- MacPherson, W. 1999. The Stephen Lawrence Inquiry (Online). https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/277111/4262.pdf. Accessed 24 August 2017.
- Office for National Statistics. 2011. Ethnicity and National Identity in England and Wales: 2011 (Online). https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/culturalidentity/ethnicity/articles/ethnicityandnationalidentityinenglandandwales/2012-12-11#national-identity-in-england-and-wales. Accessed 24 August 2017.
- Robertson, G. 2012. Defended Salman Rushdie in the Blasphemy Case Brought Against the Satanic Verses. The Guardian (Online). https://www.theguardian.com/books/2012/sep/14/looking-at-salman-rushdies-satanic-verses. Accessed 24 August 2017.
- Runnymede. 2000. Future of Multi-Ethnic Britain, The Parekh Report. Commission on the Future of Multi-Ethnic Britain (Online). http://www.runnymedetrust.org/publications/29/32.html. Accessed 24 August 2017.