Urban Planning and Design Centred on Health Metrics
Recent years have been marked by numerous initiatives aimed at promoting experiments in the field, implementing the WHO’s call in 2013 to move from the rhetoric of numerous policies aimed at promoting health and safety in the city to practical activities. All planning scales are asked to provide resilient design proposals capable of repositioning and reprogramming urban spaces in order to satisfy the needs of the community with respect to the potential impacts of urban transformations on the health and well-being of people. Reference to the context is fundamental, but it is also necessary to develop synergies among the different strategies and the different scales of the project. This includes a process of internal and external consultation in which the local community plays a fundamental role as the basic expression of the present and future social sustainability and resilience of the project. It is precisely in terms of resilience that some important cases of strategies, actions, and projects are found in Europe. Rotterdam in Holland and Copenhagen in Denmark are among the top examples.
KeywordsLocal community, neighborhood planning Health metrics Micro and macro urban design Resilient plans and projects
- Forsyth, A. Salomon, E., & Laura Smead, L. (2017). Creating healthy neighborhoods. Amer Planning Assn.Google Scholar
- Health City Think Tank. (2016). Manifesto La Salute nelle città: Bene Comune. www.healthcitythinktank.org/Manifesto-la-salute-nelle-citta-bene-comune.pdf. Accessed June 11, 2017.
- Mezzi, P., & Pellizzaro, P. (2016). La città resiliente. Milano: Altraeconomia.Google Scholar
- NHS. (2014). Healthy urban planning checklist. http://tcpa.brix.fatbeehive.com/data/files/Health_and_planning/Health_Phase_2/Healthy_Urban_Planning_Checklist.pdf.
- NHS. (2015). The Forward view into action: Registering interest to join the healthy new towns programme.Google Scholar
- https://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/healthy-new-towns-prospectus.pdf. Accessed June 11, 2017.
- Rydin, Y., Bleahu, A., Davies, M., Davila, J. D., Friel, S., De Grandis, G., et al. (2012). Shaping cities for health: Complexity and the planning of urban environments in the 21st century. The Lancet, 379(9831), 2079–2108. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0140-6736(12)60435-8.
- Sustrans. (2016). Community links plus.Google Scholar
- http://www.sustrans.org.uk/scotland/communities/community-links-plus-design-competition. Accessed June 11, 2017.