Mathematical Modelling and Numerical Simulation
In this chapter, analytical models and effects of operation parameters on the performance of PEM fuel cells are presented. This was carried out taking account of semi-empirical, one-, two- and three-dimensional modelling methods. Critical analysis of the performance of each modelling methods is included, and the effectiveness of those algorithms is experimentally verified using scaled PEM fuel cell experimental set-up.
KeywordsPEM fuel cell model PEM fuel cells analytical models Semi-empirical modelling One-dimensional models Two-dimensional cell models Three-dimensional cell models
- 3.Spiegel, C. (2011). PEM fuel cell modeling and simulation using MATLAB. Burlington USA: Academic press. ISBN: 978-0-12-374259-9.Google Scholar
- 4.Alrweq, M., Albarbar, A. (2016). Investigation into the characteristics of proton exchange membrane fuel cell-based power system IET science, measurement & technology. doi:https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-smt.2015.0046, Online ISSN 1751–8830.
- 6.Al-Baghdadi, M. A. (2010). CFD modeling and analysis of different novel designs of air-breathing PEM fuel cells. New York: Nova Science Publishers.Google Scholar
- 19.Lu, Z., Rath, C., Zhang, G., & Kandlikar, S. G. (2011). Water management studies in PEM fuel cells, part IV: Effects of channel surface wettability, geometry and orientation on the two-phase flow in parallel gas channels. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 36(16), 9864–9875.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Grimm, M., See, E. J., & Kandlikar, S. G. (2012). Modelling gas flow in PEM FUEL CELL channels: Part I–flow pattern transitions and pressure drop in a simulated ex situ channel with uniform water injection through the GDL. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 37(17), 12489–12503.CrossRefGoogle Scholar