Design and Fundamental Characteristics of PEM Fuel Cells
- 880 Downloads
The structure and operation principles of single PEM fuel cells are explained in this chapter. Thermodynamic behaviour, polarisation analysis including activation, Ohmic and concentration ones are deeply discussed. Overall efficiency, voltage outputs are also studied and explained with the support of mathematical equations.
KeywordsPEM fuel cell operation principle PEM fuel cell thermodynamic analysis PEM fuel cells polarisation phenomenon Efficiency of PEM fuel cells
- 1.Alrweq, M., Albarbar, A. (2016). Investigation into the characteristics of proton exchange membrane fuel cell-based power system. IET Science, Measurement & Technology. doi: https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-smt.2015.0046 , Online ISSN 1751–8830.
- 8.Spurgeon, J. M., Walter, M. G., Zhou, J., Kohl, P. A., & Lewis, N. S. (2011). Electrical conductivity, ionic conductivity, optical absorption, and gas separation properties of ionically conductive polymer membranes embedded with Si microwire arrays. Energy & Environmental Science, 4(5), 1772–1780.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Ural, Z., Gencoglu, M.T., & Gumus, B. (2007). Dynamic simulation of a PEMFC system. In Proceedings 2nd international hydrogen energy congress and exhibition IHEC.Google Scholar
- 14.Al-Baghdadi, M. A. S. (2005). Modelling of proton exchange membrane fuel cell performance based on semi-empirical equations. Renewable Energy, 30(10), 1587–1599. Bevers, D., et al. (1997). Simulation of a polymer electrolyte FC electrode. Journal of Applied Electrochemisrty, 27, 1254–1264.Google Scholar
- 17.Berger, C. (1968). Handbook of FC technology (1st ed.). Englewood Cliffs: Prentice-Hall, Inc. 607.Google Scholar
- 19.Ercolino, G., Ashraf, M. A., Specchia, V., & Specchia, S. (2015). Performance evaluation and comparison of fuel processors integrated with PEM fuel cell based on steam or autothermal reforming and on CO preferential oxidation or selective methanation. Applied Energy, 143, 138–153.CrossRefGoogle Scholar