Evaluating Quality Issues in BPMN Models by Extending a Technical Debt Software Platform
Taking into account the current role of modelling at organizational levels, the quality of business process models (i.e., models that indicate how to achieve business objectives) is an essential aspect for the development and technological support of any organization. Based on the hypothesis that the quality of business process models in the BPMN notation can be automatically analyzed, in this work we propose an extension of a code-quality software platform (the SonarQube project) through a complement that allows the quality of these models to be validated. This paper reports the guidelines and quality metrics that were used to evaluate BPMN models. Then the SonarQube code evaluation platform and a plugin that was created in this work (which contains the identified metrics) was used to automatically obtain values of the technical debt from BPMN models.
KeywordsModel-driven engineering Technical debt BPMN models SonarQube Quality rules
This work has been supported by the University of Quindío (Colombia) through the Research Project 742 - Integración conceptual, metodológica y tecnológica del concepto de Deuda Técnica en entornos Model-Driven Engineering soportados por CIAT - funded by the Vice-chancellor’s Research Office (grant 2015–02).
- 1.Kahloun, F., Channouchi, S.A.: Quality criteria and metrics for business process models in higher education domain: case of a tracking of curriculum offers process. Procedia Comput. Sci. 100, 1016–1023 (2016). International Conference on ENTERprise Information Systems/International Conference on Project MANagement/International Conference on Health and Social Care Information Systems and Technologies, CENTERIS/ProjMAN / HCist 2016CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Krogstie, J.: SEQUAL Specialized for Business Process Models, pp. 103–138. Springer International Publishing, Cham (2016). ISBN 978-3-319-42512-2Google Scholar
- 4.Geiger, M.: Sonarqube tutorial: Xml-plugin - setup and usage (matthias geiger’s blog), March 2014Google Scholar
- 6.Solovjev, A.: Sonar plugin development, January 2013Google Scholar
- 7.Storch, A., Laue, R., Gruhn, V.: Measuring and visualising the quality of models. In: 2013 IEEE 1st International Workshop on Communicating Business Process and Software Models Quality, Understandability, and Maintainability (CPSM), pp. 1–8 (2014)Google Scholar