The Future of Environmental Communication and Journalism in Latin America and the Caribbean
The concluding chapter of this volume summarizes the common themes in the reporting of environmental affairs across the seven case studies presented. These themes include rationales for shifts in attention to environmental issues, and interfaces of media, public, and official agendas, including ontological perspectives on just what environmental journalism is. In many cases, the reporting only surfaces when an environmental issue has become a real crisis. Another trend was the importance of individual impetus in becoming a newsroom entrepreneur who can push environmental issues past gatekeepers. By highlighting the shortcomings and successes of media in Latin America, the authors conclude by making a call to practitioners and scholars to address the identified limitations and advance environmental journalism in the region.
- Ambec, S., Cohen, M., Elgie, S., & Lanoie, P. (2011). The Porter hypothesis at 20: Can environmental regulation enhance innovation and competitiveness? Resources for the future. January 2011 V. RFF DP 11-01. http://www.rff.org/files/sharepoint/WorkImages/Download/RFF-DP-11-01.pdf. Accessed 12 June 2017.
- Castro Herrera, G. (2015, May). La crisis ambiental y las tareas de la historia en América Latina. Estudios Latinoamericanos, [S.l.], 1(2), 49–61. ISSN 2448-4946. Disponible en: http://revistas.unam.mx/index.php/rel/article/view/49681. Fecha de acceso: 12 jun. 2017.
- Dennis, B., & Fears, D. (2017, September 8). Florida governor has ignored climate change risks, critics say. Washington Post. Available online: https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/florida-governor-has-ignored-climate-change-risks-critics-say/2017/09/08/04a8c60a-94a0-11e7-aace-04b862b2b3f3_story.html?utm_term=.325fd599c482. Last Accessed 10 Dec 2017.
- Freedom House. (2016). Freedom of the Press: Country reports. Available online: https://freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-press/2016. Last Accessed 10 Dec 2017.
- Gligo, N. (2001). Dimension ambiental en el desarrollo de América Latina. Santiago: Cepal 265 p. Ilus. (Libros de la CEPAL, 58).Google Scholar
- Krøvel, R. (2011). Journalistic narratives of success and failure at the Bali climate change conference in 2007. Intercultural Communication Studies, 20(2), 89–104.Google Scholar
- Martín, F., & Larsimont, R. (2017). ¿Es posible una ecología cosmo-política?, Polis [En línea], 45 | 2016, Publicado el 11 mayo 2017, consultado el 11 junio 2017. http://polis.revues.org/12155
- O’Toole, G. (2017, June 20). Latin America sets the pace on environmental taxes. Global Government Forum. Available online: https://www.globalgovernmentforum.com/latin-america-sets-pace-environmental-taxes/. Last accessed 8 July 2017.
- Pinto-Bazurco, J. (2018). Peru Passes New Framework Climate Change Law: Top Nine Developments. Climate Law Blog. Available online: http://blogs.law.columbia.edu/climatechange/2018/04/26/peru-passes-new-framework-climate-change-law-top-nine-developments/