Changes in Korean Society Since 1980
Why does this book deal with media governance in Korea from 1980? Since the 1980s, Korean society has undergone dramatic changes, marking a very important time in history. Full-scale democracy was established after 1987. Since 1987, the people have directly elected the president, the civil society has become active, and the local authority system has been established. The results of the industrialization policy also enriched the media industry. Since the late 1990s, informatization led to a knowledge economy, and the promotion of informatization plans drove Korea to become one of the world’s most advanced digital societies. Changes in Korean society could be addressed using three keywords: industrialization, democratization, and informatization.
Reference II (In Korean)
- Acemoglu, D., and J. Robinson. 2012. Why Nations Fail: The Origins of Power, Prosperity, and Poverty. New York: Crown Business.Google Scholar
- ———. 2016. ICT Statistics. Retrieved from http://www.itu.int/en/ITU-D/Statistics/Pages/ default.aspx.
- ———. 2014. Global E-Government Survey. Retrieved from http://www.unpan.org/egovkb/global_reports/08report.htm.
- Jeong, K.H. 2013. Where Are We Going? Seoul: Cheongrim Publishing.Google Scholar
- Statistics Korea. 2013. Household Trend Survey 1990–2015. Retrieved from http://kostat.go.kr/portal/eng/index.action.
- ———. 2016. Changes in Korean Society During the 70 Years Since Independence. Daejon: Korean Statistics Korea.Google Scholar