Does Financial Regulation Influence Bank Efficiency? A Study on UAE Banking Sector
A well-functioning, stable, and efficient banking system contributes to the economic growth of a country. Financial regulation has been highlighted as an important factor which influences bank performance and safety as evidenced by some of the studies in the past. This study analyzes the relationship between financial regulation and bank efficiency in the UAE. First part of our study is modeled on DEA analysis and indicates an improvement in profit efficiency during the selected period. The second part of our study analyzed the impact of financial regulations on the banks’ efficiency using Tobit regression. The regulatory variables included for this are loan to deposit ratio, advances to stable resources, total capital adequacy ratio, tier 1 capital to risk-weighted assets (RWA), provision coverage, and loan loss provision.
- Aboura, S., & Lépinette, E. (2015). Do banks satisfy the Modigliani-Miller theorem? Economic Bulletin, 35, 924–935.Google Scholar
- Athanasoglou, P., Delis, M., & Staikouras, C. (2006). Determinants of bank profitability in the Southern Eastern European Region. Bank of Greece Working Paper, No. 47. Munich.Google Scholar
- Athanasoglou, P. P., Brissimis, S. N., & Delis, M. D. (2008). Bank-specific, industry-specific and macroeconomic determinants of bank profitability. Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, 18, 121–136.Google Scholar
- Ayadi, R., & Pujals, G. (2005). Banking mergers and acquisitions in the EU: Overview, assessment and prospects, chapters in SUERF studies. SUERF – The European Money and Finance Forum.Google Scholar
- Bader, M. K., Mohamad, S., Ariff, M., & Hassan, T. (2008). Cost, revenue and profit efficiency of Islamic versus conventional banks: international analysis using data envelopment analysis. Islamic Economic Studies, 15(2), 23–76.Google Scholar
- Barth, J-R., Caprio, G., & Levine, R. (2012). The evolution and impact of bank regulations (Policy Research Working Papers). Washington, DC: The World Bank. dx.doi.org/10.1596/1813-9450-6288.
- Beltratti, A., & Stulz, R. (2009). Why did some banks perform better during the Credit Crisis: A Cross-Country study of the impact of Governance and Regulation (pp. 1–38). ECGI Working Paper Series in Finance, Working Paper 254/2009. https://doi.org/10.3386/w15180
- Claessens, S., & Klingebiel, D. (2000, April). Competition and scope of activities in financial services. Washington, DC: Mimeo, World Bank.Google Scholar
- Dewatripont, M., & Tirole, J. (1994). The Prudential Regulation of Banks. Cambridge: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Gorton, G., & Winton, A. (2000). Liquidity provision, bank capital and the macroeconomy. SSRN Electronic Journal. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.253849.
- Kosmidou, K., Tanna, S., & Pasiouras, F. (2005). Determinants of profitability of domestic UK commercial banks: Panel evidence from the period 1995–2002. Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference, 45, 1–27.Google Scholar
- Kwan, S., & Eisenbeir, R. (1997). Bank risk, capitalization and operating efficiency. Journal of Banking and Finance, 12(2 & 3), 117–131.Google Scholar
- Lin, P. W. (2002). Cost efficiency analysis of commercial bank mergers in Taiwan. International Journal of Management, 19(3), 408.Google Scholar
- Modigliani, F., & Miller, M. H. (1958). The cost of capital, corporate finance and the theory of investment. American Economic Review, 48, 261–297.Google Scholar
- Owolabi, S., Obiakor, R., & Okwu, A. (2011). Investigating liquidity-profitability relationship in business organizations: a study of selected quoted companies in Nigeria. British Journal of Economics, Finance and Management Science, 1(2), 11–29.Google Scholar
- O'Donnell, C. J. (2010). Measuring and decomposing agricultural productivity and profitability change. Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, 54(4), 527–560.Google Scholar
- Pessarossi, P., & Weill, L. (2009). Do capital requirements affect bank efficiency? Evidence from China. Bank of Finland, BOFT discussion papers, 2013. Helsinki. https://helda.helsinki.fi/bof/bitstream/handle/123456789/8311/172742.pdf?sequence=1