Detached-Eddy Simulation of a Horizontal Axis Wind Turbine
Aerodynamic simulations of a small horizontal-axis wind turbine, suitable for integration of wind energy in urban and peri-urban areas, are performed using the improved delayed detached-eddy simulation method. Simulations are carried out for three rotation rates and inlet conditions. Aerodynamic characteristics of the wind turbine such as forces, power production, pressure distribution as well as flow topologies are presented. The effect of different rotation rates as well as the effect of free stream turbulence on the turbine aerodynamics are discussed.
This paper and the SWIP project has received funding from the European Union’s Seventh Programme for research, technological development and demonstration under grant agreement No. 608554. The computations were performed on resources provided by the Swedish National Infrastructure for Computing (SNIC) at PDC Center for High Performance Computing (PDC-HPC) and National Supercomputing Center (NSC) at Linköping University.
- 1.CD-adapco. http://www.cd-adapco.com/products/star-ccm
- 2.Glauert, H.: Airplane propellers. In: Aerodynamic Theory. Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 43, pp. 169–360 (1935)Google Scholar
- 3.Hunt, J.C.R., Wray, A.A., Moin, P.: Eddies, streams, and convergence zones in turbulent flows. In: Center for Turbulence Research Report, vol. CTR-S88, pp. 193–208 (1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Jarrin, N., Benhamadouche, S., Laurence, D., Prosser, R.: A synthetic-eddy-method for generating inflow conditions for large-eddy simulations. Int. J. Heat Fluid Flow 27(4), 585–593 (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Miller, S.A.E., Morris, P.J.: Rotational effects on the aerodynamics and aeroacoustics of wind turbine airfoils. In: 12th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Rasam, A., Botha, J.D.M., Bolin, K., OReilly, C., Efraimsson, G., Rice, H.: Aerodynamic noise prediction for a wind turbine using numerical flow simulations and semi-empirical modelling approaches. In: 22nd AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference, vol. 2846 (2016)Google Scholar
- 7.Shur, M.L., Spalart, P.R., Strelets, M.K., Travin, A.K.: A hybrid RANS-LES approach with delayed-DES and wall-modelled LES capabilities. Int. J. Heat Fluid Flow 29(6), 1638–1649 (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Sørensen, J.N.: Aerodynamic aspects of wind energy conversion. Ann. Rev. Fluid Mech. 43, 427–448 (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Spalart, P.R.: Detached-eddy simulation of flow around the NREL phase-VI blade. In: ASME 2002 Wind Energy Symposium, pp. 106–114. American Society of Mechanical Engineers (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Spalart, P.R.: Detached-eddy simulation. Ann. Rev. Fluid Mech. 41, 181–202 (2009)Google Scholar