Assessment of Turbulence Models for Flow Around Three-Dimensional Geometries
This paper presents a computational study of flow around three-dimensional geometries as the Ahmed body, which is a classical test case for automotive flow, but also as the JBC (Japan Bulk Carrier)which was first investigated in the framework of the Tokyo 2015 Workshop on Numerical Ship Hydrodynamics. For both test cases, an investigation of RANS (\(k-\omega \) SST and EARSM) and hybrid RANS-LES models (DES and IDDES) is conducted. All simulations have been performed with the ISIS-CFD flow solver, which is developed by Ecole Centrale de Nantes and CNRS. For both geometries, the hybrid RANS-LES models predict a high level of turbulent kinetic energy which is in better agreement with the experiments than the quantity predicted with a RANS turbulence model.
This work was granted access to the HPC resources of CINES/IDRIS under the allocations 2015-2a0129 and 2016-2a0129 made by GENCI.
- 2.Ahmed, S.R., Ramm, G., Faltin, G.: Some salient features of the time-averaged ground vehicle wake. SAE World Congress. Paper 840300 (1984)Google Scholar
- 4.Deng, G.B., Visonneau, M.: Comparison of explicit algebraic stress models and second-order turbulence closures for steady flow around ships. In: 7th Symposium on Numerical Ship Hydrodynamics, pp. 4.4–1–15. Nantes, France (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Duvigneau, R., Visonneau, M., Deng, G.B.: On the role played by turbulence closures in hull ship optimization at model and full scale. J. Mar. Sci. Technol. 8, 11–25 (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Lienhart, H., Becker, S.: Flow and turbulence in the wake of a simplified car model. SAE World Congress. Paper 2003-01-0656 (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Menter, F.R., Kuntz, M., Langtry, R.: Ten years of industrial experience with the SST turbulence model. In: Hanjalić, K., Nagano, Y., Tummers, M. (eds.) Turbulence, Heat and Mass Transfer 4, vol. 19, pp. 339–352. Begell House, Inc. (2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Minguez, M., Pasquetti, R., Serre, E.: High-order large eddy simulation of flow over the “Ahmed body” car model. Phys. Fluids 20 (2008)Google Scholar
- 13.Nishikawa, N.: Application of fully resolved large eddy simulation to Japan bulk carrier with an energy saving device. In: Tokyo 2015 Workshop on CFD in Ship Hydrodynamics. Tokyo, Japan (2015)Google Scholar
- 15.Spohn, A., Gilliéron, P.: Flow separations generated by a simplified geometry of an automotive vehicle. In: IUTAM Symposium on Unsteady Separated Flows. Toulouse, France (2002)Google Scholar
- 17.Visonneau, M.: JBC local flow analysis. In: Tokyo 2015 Workshop on CFD in Ship Hydrodynamics. Tokyo, Japan (2015)Google Scholar