An Ontology-Based Hybrid Recommender System for Internet Protocol Television
Internet Protocol Television (IPTV) has gained popularity in providing TV channels and program choices to broad range of user. The service providers are attempting ways to attract more users’ subscription and as from user point of view, they would like to have channel or program recommendations based on their preferences as well as public suggestions. This motivates us to propose an ontology-based hybrid recommender system. This system applies content-based and collaborative filtering in IPTV domain to increase users’ satisfaction. The preliminary experimental results show that our proposed system works more effectively by eliminating the cold-start problem, over specialization, data sparsity and new item problems and efficiently by using the ontological user profile for computation of recommendations.
KeywordsCollaborative filtering Content-based Hybrid recommender system Internet protocol television Ontology
This work is supported by the funding of TM R&D from the Telekom Malaysia, Malaysia.
- 1.Shardanand, U., Maes, P.: Social information filtering: algorithms for automating “word of mouth”. In: Human Factors in Computing Systems Conference, pp. 210–217 (1995)Google Scholar
- 2.Billsus, D., Pazzani, M.J.: Learning collaborative information filters. In: 5th International Conference on Machine Learning, pp. 46–54 (1998)Google Scholar
- 8.Bambini, R., Cremonesi, P., Turrin, R.: A recommender system for an IPTV service provider: a real large-scale production environment. In: Ricci, F., Rokach, L., Shapira, B., Kantor, P. (eds.) Recommender Systems Handbook, pp. 299–300. Springer, Boston (2011). doi: 10.1007/978-0-387-85820-3_9 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Pripuzic, K., Zarko, I.P., Podobnik, V. Lovrek, I.,Cavka, M., Petkovic, I., Stulic, P., Gojceta, M.: Building an IPTV VoD recommender system: an experience report. In: 12th International Conference on Telecommunications, pp. 155–162. IEEE (2013)Google Scholar
- 13.Bahramian, Z., Abbaspour, R.A.: An Ontology-based tourism recommender system based on spreading activation model. In: International Conference on Sensors and Models in Remote Sensing and Photogrammetry, pp. 83–90 (2015)Google Scholar
- 15.Rashid, A.M., Albert, I., Cosley, D., Lam, S.K., McNee, S.M., Konstan, J.A., Riedl, J.: Getting to know you: learning new user preferences in recommender systems. In: International Conference of Intelligent User Interfaces, pp. 127–134 (2002)Google Scholar
- 16.Grouplens, Movielens 100K Dataset. http://grouplens.org/datasets/movielens/100k/