A VR-Based Crane Training System for Railway Accident Rescues
The railway crane is frequently used in railway accident rescues. However, it is generally impractical to train crane operators widely in real accident sites considering the costs and human safety. A VR-based crane training system for railway accident rescues is proposed in this paper. The training system reconstructs the railway accident scenes by integrating geographical environments, head-on collision scenarios between two high-speed trains and the railway crane kinematics models. Crane operators can interact with the virtual accident environment through some VR devices and gain the valuable experience of railway accident rescues. Results of a field test show that the VR-based crane training system for railway accident rescues can provide a safe, low-cost, efficient and user-friendly platform for crane operators.
KeywordsRailway crane Training system Accident rescue Head-on collision VR devices
We would like to thank Shujie Deng for proofreading this manuscript. The financial support of the National Science Foundation of China (No. 51405402, NO. 51475394), the Independent Research Project of the State Key Laboratory of Traction Power (No. 2015TPL_T06), and the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (No. 2682016CX128) is gratefully acknowledged.
- 1.Jin, G., Nakayama, S.: Virtual reality game for safety education. In: International Conference on Audio, Language and Image Processing, pp. 95–100. IEEE Press, Shanghai (2014). doi: 10.1109/ICALIP.2014.7009764
- 6.Reitmayr, G., Schmalstieg, D.: An open software architecture for virtual reality interaction. In: Proceedings of the ACM Symposium on Virtual Reality Software and Technology, pp. 47–54 (2001). doi. 10.1145/505008.505018
- 7.Steinicke, F., Ropinski, T., Hinrichs, K.: A generic virtual reality software system’s architecture and application. In: International Conference on Augmented Tele-Existence, pp. 220–227. ACM, New York (2005). doi. 10.1145/1152399.1152440
- 10.Dong, H., Xu, G.: An expert system for bridge crane training system based on virtual reality. In: International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Computational Intelligence, pp. 30–33. IEEE Press, Sanya (2010). doi: 10.1109/AICI.2010.247
- 11.Lin, S., Li, T., Zhang, R.: Research on motion simulation of railway rescue crane based virtual reality technology. In: International Conference on Automatic Control and Artificial Intelligence, pp. 30–33. IEEE Press, Sanya (2012). doi: 10.1049/cp.2012.1325
- 14.Moore, M., Wilhelms, J.: Collision detected and response for computer animation. In: Proceedings of the 15th Annual Conference on Computer Graphics, pp. 289–298. ACM, New York (1988). http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/378456.378528