Sunken Relief Generation from a Single Image
Sunken relief is an art form whereby the depicted shapes are sunk into a given flat plane with a shallow overall depth. In this paper, we propose a sunken relief generation algorithm based on a single image. Our method starts from a single image. First, we smoothen the image with morphological operations such as opening and closing operations and extract the feature lines by comparing the values of adjacent pixels. Then we apply unsharp masking to sharpen the feature lines. After that, we focus on local information enhancement and smoothing to obtain an image that with little burrs and jaggies. Differential operations are necessary to produce the perceptive relief effect. Finally, we construct the sunken relief surface by triangularization, by which two-dimensional information is transformed into a three-dimensional model. The results demonstrate that our method is simple and efficient.
KeywordsSunken relief Unsharp masking (USM) Triangularization
This work was funded by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (61402374). We thank all reviewers for editing the English of this manuscript.
- 2.Song, W., Belyaev, A., Seidel, H.P.: Automatic generation of bas-reliefs from 3D shapes. In: IEEE International Conference on Shape Modeling and Applications, pp. 211–214. IEEE Computer Society (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Liu, S., Xu, X.: LI, B., Zhang, L.: An algorithm for generating line-engraving relief. J. Chin Comput. Syst. 32(10), 2088–2091 (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Wang, M., Kerber, J., Chang, J., Zhang, J.: Relief stylization from 3D models using featured lines. In: Spring Conference on Computer Graphics, pp. 37–42. ACM (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Wang, M., Chang, J., Pan, J., Zhang, J.: Image-based bas-relief generation with gradient operation. In: Proceedings of the 11th IASTED International Conference Computer Graphics and Imaging, Innsbruck, Austria, pp. 33–38. Acta Press (2010)Google Scholar
- 13.Raskar, R.: Hardware support for non-photorealistic rendering. In: ACM SIGGRAPH, eurographics Workshop on Graphics Hardware, pp. 41–46. Association for Computing Machinery (2001)Google Scholar
- 15.Zhang, L., He, Y., Xie, X., Chen, W.: Laplacian lines for real-time shape illustration. In: 2009 ACM SIGGRAPH Symposium on Interactive 3D Graphics and Games, Boston, MA, United states, pp. 129–136. Association for Computing Machinery (2009)Google Scholar
- 18.Liang, J., Gong, L.: An improved method of USM processing on color image. In: 2nd China Academic Conference on Printing and Packaging, Beijing, China, pp. 168–171. Trans Tech Publications (2012)Google Scholar
- 19.Mitra, S., Li, H., Lin, I., Yu, T.: A new class of nonlinear filters for image enhancement. In: Proceeding of the 1991 International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, pp. 2525–2528. IEEE (1991)Google Scholar