Management of Failed Unicondylar Arthroplasty
The success of partial knee arthroplasty is well described in the literature. Both mobile-bearing knee and fixed-bearing knee designs have good long-term survivorship described in the literature. While long-term success is well described, there is still a certain amount of failures that are noted and revision of this partial knee is required. Because only a partial knee is performed, one could argue that there is inherent risk of revision for the unhappy patient. For example, a TKA patient with anterior knee pain may be sent to physical therapy, told to lose weight, and prescribed some activity modification. Given the nature of a full revision, it is often done only as a last resort. But if you take the same patient with anterior knee pain who had a partial knee arthroplasty at their indicated procedure, then it is often claimed that this patient is more likely to get revised. Perhaps it would be revised because of the unresurfaced patella or perhaps revised cause the patient is unhappy, but it often does appear to be a double standard when it comes to revision of partial knee arthroplasty.
KeywordsFailed unicondylar arthroplasty Medial compartment osteoarthritis Tibial loosening Femoral loosening Popliteus tendonitis
- 2.Siman H, Kamath AF, Carrillo N, Harmsen WS, Pagnano MW, Sierra RJ. Unicompartmental knee arthroplasty vs total knee arthroplasty for medial compartment arthritis in patients older than 75 years: comparable reoperation, revision, and complication rates. J Arthroplasty. 2017;32(6):1792–7. pii: SO883-5403(17)30052-9.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Deshmukh RV, Scott RD. Unicompartmental knee arthroplasty: long-term results. Clin Orthop. 2001:272–8.Google Scholar
- 15.Australian Orthopaedic Association National Joint Replacement Registry. n.d.. https://aoanjrr.sahmri.com/en. Accessed 14 Mar 2017.
- 16.The Swedish Knee Arthroplasty Register. n.d.. http://www.myknee.se/en/. Accessed 14 Mar 2017.
- 17.The New Zealand Joint Registry: Fourteen Year Report 2013. http://nzoa.org.nz/nz-joint-registry. Accessed 14 Mar 2017.
- 21.van der List JP, Zuiderbaan HA, Pearle AD. Why do lateral unicompartmental knee arthroplasties fail today? Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 2016;45:432–62.Google Scholar