The Varus Knee
Osteoarthritis with a varus deformity is one of the most common deformities presenting for total knee arthroplasty. At the present time, there are various options for correcting a fixed varus deformity, but it is well accepted that accurate soft tissue balance with restoration of the mechanical alignment of the knee joint is critical to a successful outcome. Soft tissue release has evolved over the years, to more sequential and controlled releases of the medial supporting structures. Understanding the implications with soft tissue release is paramount to a successful total knee arthroplasty and restoration of accurate alignment.
KeywordsVarus deformity Medial release Medial collateral ligament Alignment Total knee arthroplasty Soft tissue balance
- 6.Insall J, Walker P. Unicondylar knee replacement. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1976;120:83–5.Google Scholar
- 7.Goudarz Mehdikhani K, Morales Moreno B, Reid JJ, de Paz NA, Lee YY, González Della Valle A. An algorithmic, pie crusting medial soft tissue release reduces the need for constrained inserts in patients with severe varus deformity undergoing total knee arthroplasty. J Arthoplasty. 2016;31(7):1465–9.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Daines BK, Dennis DA. Gap balancing vs measured resection technique in total knee arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2014;6(1):1–8.Google Scholar
- 20.Martin JR, Jennings JM, Levy DL, Watters TS, Miner TM, Dennis DA. What preoperative radiographic parameters are associated with increased medial release in total knee arthroplasty? J Arthroplasty. 2016. pii: S0883-5403(16)30520-4. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2016.08.018. [Article in press].
- 28.Howell SM, Hull ML. Kinematic alignment in total knee arthroplasty. In: Scott S, editor. Insall and Scott surgery of the knee. 6th ed. Philadelphia: Churchill Livingstone; Elsevier; 2017. in press.Google Scholar
- 33.Calliess T, Bauer K, Stukenborg-Colsman C, Windhagen H, Budde S, Ettinger M. PSI. kinematic versus non-PSI mechanical alignment in total knee arthroplasty: a prospective, randomized study. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2016. [Epub ahead of print].Google Scholar
- 35.Young SW, Walker ML, Bayan A, Briant-Evans T, Pavlou P, Farrington B. The Chitranjan S. Ranawat Award: no difference in 2-year functional outcomes using kinematic versus mechanical alignment in TKA: a randomized controlled clinical trial. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2017;475(1):9–20.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 38.Nedopil AJ, Howell SM, Hull ML. What clinical characteristics and radiographic parameters are associated with patellofemoral instability after kinematically aligned total knee arthroplasty? Int Orthop 2016. [Epub ahead of print].Google Scholar