Introduction: How Contestation Provides Insight into Normative Behavior
- 270 Downloads
“'It bothers me when [the CIA] say[s] there were seven guys, so they must all be militants,' the [Obama administration] official said” (Becker and Shane 2012).
“They want us to be rabbits in their war… But I’m a peaceful man and I don’t want to fight. The government is against us – and Isis and Jabhat al-Nusra want to kill us.” Syrian refugee in Serbia (Kingsley 2015).
- Acharya A. Who are the norm makers? The Asian-African conference in Bandung and the evolution of norms. Glob Gov. 2014;20(3):405–17.Google Scholar
- Becker J, Shane S. Secret ‘Kill List’ proves a test of Obama’s principles and will. The New York Times, May 29, 2012. 2012. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/29/world/obamas-leadership-in-war-on-al-qaeda.html?pagewanted=9&_r=1&hp&adxnnlx=1338289213-gFazCDrgzwY2RtQCER9fGQ&pagewanted=all. Last accessed 10 July 2016.
- Chayes A, Chayes AH. The new sovereignty: compliance with international regulatory agreements. Boston: Harvard University Press; 1995.Google Scholar
- Deibert RJ, Crete-Nishihata M. Global governance and the spread of cyberspace control. Glob Gov. 2012;18:339–61.Google Scholar
- Friedman U. Russia’s slow-motion invasion of Ukraine: Is Putin waging a new form of warfare, or a very old one? The Atlantic, August 29, 2014. 2014. http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/08/russias-stealthy-slow-motion-invasion-of-ukraine/379312/.Last accessed 25 Jan 2016.
- Harre R, Gillet G. The discursive mind. Thousand Oaks: Sage; 1994.Google Scholar
- Henderson CW. Population pressures and political repression. Soc Sci Q. 1993;74(2):322–33.Google Scholar
- Hoffman MJ. Competition and contestation in the evolution of social norms. Draft paper prepared for presentation at the 2004 Annual Meeting of the International Studies Association, Montreal, Canada; 2004.Google Scholar
- Katzenstein PJ. The culture of National Security. New York: Columbia University Press; 1996.Google Scholar
- Kegley J, Charles W, Raymond GA, Hermann MG. The rise and fall of the nonintervention norm: some correlates and potential consequences. The Fletcher Forum of World Affairs. 1998;22:81–97.Google Scholar
- Kingsley P. Canada’s exclusion of single male refugees may exacerbate Syrian conflict. The Guardian, November 24, 2015. 2015. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/24/canada-exclusion-refugees-single-syrian-men-assad-isis. Last accessed 10 July 2016.
- Klotz A. Norms in international relations: the struggle against apartheid. Ithaca: Cornell University Press; 1995.Google Scholar
- Kvale S. Interviews: an introduction to qualitative research interviewing. Thousand Oaks: Sage; 1996.Google Scholar
- Lally K, Englund W. Putin says he reserves right to protect Russians in crimea. The Washington Post. March 8, 2014. 2014. http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/putin-reserves-the-right-to-use-force-in-Crimea/2014/03/04/92d4ca70-a389-11e3-a5fa-55f0c77bf39c_story.html. Last accessed 13 Nov 2014.
- Liese A. Exceptional necessity: how liberal democracies contest the prohibition of torture and ill-treatment when countering terrorism. Journal of International Law and International Relations. 2009;5(1):17–47.Google Scholar
- The Guardian. Canada to turn away single men as part of Syrian refugee resettlement plan. The Guardian, November 23, 2015. 2015. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/23/canada-syrian-refugee-resettlement-plan-no-single-men. Last accessed 10 July 2016.
- Uppsala Conflict Data Program (Date of retrieval: 2010/07/30) UCDP Database: www.ucdp.uu.se/database, Uppsala University.
- Venzke I. Legal contestation about “enemy combatants”: on the exercise of power in legal interpretation. Journal of International Law and International Relations. 2009;5(1):155–84.Google Scholar
- Viera AJ, Garrett JM. Understanding Interobserver agreement: the kappa statistic. Fam Med. 2005;37(5):360–3.Google Scholar
- White House. Statement by the President on Ukraine. Office of the Press Secretary. 2014. https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2014/02/28/statement-president-ukraine. Last accessed 25 Jan 2016.
- Zimmermann L. Same same or different? Norm diffusion between resistance, compliance, and localization in post-conflict states. International Studies Perspective. 2014. p. 119.Google Scholar