Biofuels from Microalgae: Photobioreactor Exhaust Gases in Oxycombustion Systems
The aim of this chapter is to present a comprehensive overview of integrated bio-oxycombustion systems with photobioreactors. Divided into seven distinct topics, the chapter discusses issues related to fundamentals of oxycombustion, the operational implications for oxycombustion-enhanced performance, oxygen produced by photosynthesis, volatile organic compounds as energy source, photobioreactors design, the process integration in bio-oxycombustion systems, and the hurdles of bio-oxycombustion technology, summarizing a range of useful strategies directed to the sustainable development of industrial combustion systems.
KeywordsBiological carbon capture and utilization Microalgae Oxyfuel Volatile organic compounds Gaseous fuels Process integration
- Cengel, Y. A. (2003). Heat transfer: A practical approach (2nd ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Chorowski, M., & Gizicki, W. (2015). Technical and economic aspects of oxygen separation for oxy-fuel purposes. Archives of Thermodynamics, 36, 157–10.Google Scholar
- DOE. U.S. Department of Energy. Available at: https://energy.gov/.
- Fay, P. (1983). The blue-greens (cyanophyta-cyanobacteria) (5ª ed., p. 88). London: Edward Arnold Publishers, Studies in Biology 160.Google Scholar
- Gładysz, P., et al. (2017). Thermodynamic assessment of an integrated MILD oxyfuel combustion power plant. Energy (in press).Google Scholar
- Goldstein, A. H., & Galbally, I. E. (2007). Known and unexplored organic constituents in the Earth’s atmosphere. Environmental Science and Technology, 41, 1415–1421.Google Scholar
- IHEA. Industrial Heating Equipment Association. (2007). Improving process heating system performance: A sourcebook for industry. Prepared for the United States Department of Energy Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, Industrial Technologies Program.Google Scholar
- Jacob-Lopes, E., et al. (2015). Microalgal biorefineries, biomass production and uses (Chap. 5). In E. Atazadeh (Ed.), InTech.Google Scholar
- Jacob-Lopes, E., et al. (2016). Bioprocesso de conversão de dióxido de carbono de emissões industriais, bioprodutos, seus usos e fotobiorreator híbrido. Patent WO 2016041028 A1.Google Scholar
- Jacob-Lopes, E., et al. (2017). Process and system for re-using carbon dioxide transformed by photosynthesis into oxygen and hydrocarbons used in an integrated manner to increase the thermal efficiency of combustion systems. Patent WO 2017/112984 A1.Google Scholar
- Jajesniak, P., et al. (2014). Carbon dioxide capture and utilization using biological systems: Opportunities and challenges. Bioprocessing & Biotechniques, 4, 3.Google Scholar
- Koytsoumpa, E. I., et al. (2017). The CO2 economy: Review of CO2 capture and reuse technologies. The Journal of Supercritical Fluids (in press).Google Scholar
- Linde Group. (2017). Available at: http://www.linde-engineering.com/en/index.html.
- Zepka, L. Q., et al. (2015). Biogeneration of volatile compounds from microalgae. Chapter: Flavour Generation, 257–260.Google Scholar