Navigation Training, Tools, and Resources
Patient navigation has arisen quickly as a new health profession with great heterogeneity of background, training, roles, and practices. This chapter provides an overview of key tools and resources available to new and experienced navigators of various types, including core competencies, training, certificate and certification options, guides and toolkits, and evaluation support.
KeywordsPatient navigation Training Resources
- 3.Willis A, Reed E, Pratt-Chapman M, Kapp H, Hatcher E, Vaitones V, et al. Development of a framework for patient navigation: delineating roles across navigator types. J Oncol Navig Surviv. 2013;4:20–6.Google Scholar
- 4.Pratt-Chapman M, Willis A, Masselink L. Core competencies for oncology patient navigators. J Oncol Navig Surviv. 2015;6:16–21.Google Scholar
- 5.Oncology Nursing Society. 2017 Oncology Nurse Navigator Core Competencies. 2017. www.ons.org/sites/default/files/2017ONNcompetencies.pdf.
- 7.Otero Junior College. Health navigator: Associate of Applied Science Degree & Certificate. www.ojc.edu/academics/academicprograms/ctehealthnav.aspx.
- 8.Center for Public Health Practice. Level I: patient navigator fundamentals. 2015. www.publichealthpractice.org/civicrm/event/info?id=62.
- 9.Pratt-Chapman M. Certificate or certification: what’s the difference? J Oncol Navig Surviv. 2015;6:16–21.Google Scholar
- 10.The GW Cancer Center. Executive training on navigation and survivorship: finding your patient focus: guide for program development. Washington, DC: The George Washington University; 2014.Google Scholar
- 11.The GW Cancer Center. Advancing the field of patient navigation: a toolkit for comprehensive cancer control professionals. Washington, DC: The George Washington University; 2016.Google Scholar
- 12.Phillips S, Raskin S, Pratt-Chapman M. Patient navigation barriers and outcomes tool: version 1.1 quick start guide. Washington, DC: The George Washington University Cancer Center; 2016.Google Scholar
- 13.GW Cancer Center. Patient navigator competencies. 2015. http://bit.ly/PNCompReport.
- 14.Native American Cancer Research Corporation. Collaborative partnership in cancer prevention & control. http://natamcancer.org/nacreval/nacreval.html.
- 15.University of Michigan School of Public Health. Certificate v. Certification. In: Website no longer active; 2015.Google Scholar