Medical Family Therapy in Intensive Care
The history of intensive care units and critical care dates back to the early to mid-1900s. Critical care is commonly described as a form of medical care for patients who have an acute, life-threatening, or medically complex condition or illness which requires a close, constant watch by specialized providers (Fulbrook, 2010; Lakanmaa, Suominenb, Perttila, Puukkae, & Leino-Kilpi, 2012). Most critical care services take place in an environment known as an intensive care unit (ICU).
Glossary of Important Terms in Intensive Care1
A thin, hollow tube that is placed into an artery (large blood vessel) in the wrist, groin, or other location to measure blood pressure. This is often called an “art line” in the intensive care unit (ICU ).
Devices that apply pressure to the neonatal respiratory system via nasal prongs placed into the nostrils, forming a tight seal to minimize leak.
A long, soft, thin hollow tube that is placed into a largevein. Also known as a central line or CVC.
Chest tubes are inserted between ribs into one’s chest in order to drain blood, fluid, or air and allow full expansion of the lungs. The tube may be connected to a suction machine to help with drainage.
A type of high frequency ventilation characterized by the use of active expiration.
Clinically detected weakness in critically ill patients when there is no other explanation for the weakness other than critical illness.
The introduction of a tube into a hollow organ (such as the trachea).
The technique through which gas is moved toward and from the lungs through an external device connected directly to the patient.
A group of drugs that prevent motor nerve endings from exciting skeletal muscle. They may be used during surgery to produce paralysis and facilitate manipulation of muscles.
This procedure involves surgically constructing a hole that goes through the front of the neck into the trachea or windpipe. A breathing tube is placed through the hole and directly into the windpipe to facilitate breathing .
- Acar, E., Dursun, O. B., Esin, İ. S., Öğütlü, H., Özcan, H., & Mutlu, M. (2015). Unintentional injuries in preschool age children: Is there a correlation with parenting style and parental attention deficit and hyperactivity symptoms. Medicine, 94, e1378-e1382. https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000001378
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine. (2017). Infant sleep apnea—Symptoms & risk factors. Retrieved May 18, 2017, from http://www.sleepeducation.org/sleep-disorders-by-category/sleep-breathing-disorders/infant-sleep-apnea/symptoms-risk-factors
- Azoulay, E., Pochard, F., Kentish-Barnes, N., Chevret, S., Aboab, J., Adrie, C., … Fassier, T. (2005). Risk of post-traumatic stress symptoms in family members of intensive care unit patients. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, 171, 987–994. https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.200409-1295OC CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Baggs, J., Ryan, S., Phelps, C., Richeson, J., & Johnson, J. (1992). The association between interdisciplinary collaboration and patient outcomes in a medical intensive care unit. Heart & Lung, 21, 18–24.Google Scholar
- Baggs, J., Schmitt, M., Mushlin, A., Eldredge, D., Oakes, D., & Hutson, A. (1997). Nurses and resident physicians’ perceptions of the process of collaboration in an MICU. Research in Nursing Health, 20, 71–80. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1098-240X(199702)20:1<71::AID-NUR8>3.0.CO;2-R CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Baggs, J., Schmitt, M., Mushlin, A., Mitchell, P., Eldrege, D., & Oakes, D. (1999). Association between nurse-physician collaboration and patient outcomes in three intensive care units. Critical Care Medicine, 27, 1991–1998. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10507630
- Baraniak, A., & Sheffield, D. (2011). The efficacy of psychologically based interventions to improve anxiety, depression and quality of life in COPD: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Patient Education and Counseling, 83, 29–36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2010.04.010 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Beardsley, J. R., Jones, C. M., Williamson, J., Chou, J., Currie-Coyoy, M., & Jackson, T. (2016). Pharmacist involvement in a multidisciplinary initiative to reduce sepsis-related mortality. American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy, 73, 143–149. https://doi.org/10.2146/ajhp150186 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- *Bell, L. (2012). Family presence: visitation in the adult ICU. Critical Care Nurse, 32, 76–78.Google Scholar
- Bienvenu, O. J., & Neufeld, K. J. (2011). Post-traumatic stress disorder in medical settings: Focus on the critically ill. Current Psychiatry Reports, 13, 3–9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11920-010-0166-y
- Brilli, R. J., Spevetz, A., Branson, R. D., Campbell, G. M., Cohen, H., Dasta, J. F., … Andre, A. C. S. (2001). Critical care delivery in the intensive care unit: Defining clinical roles and the best practice model. Critical Care Medicine, 29, 2007–2019. https://doi.org/10.1097/00003246-200110000-00026 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Chawla, R., & Todi, S. (Eds.). (2012). ICU protocols: A stepwise approach. New Delhi, IN: Springer.Google Scholar
- Child Life Council, Inc. (2010). Vision statement. Retrieved from http://www.childlife.org
- Clarke, C., & Harrison, D. (2001). The needs of children visiting on adult intensive care units: A review of the literature and recommendations for practice. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 34, 61–68. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2001.3411733.x CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Curtis, J. R., Patrick, D. L., Shannon, S. E., Treece, P. D., Engelberg, R. A., & Rubenfeld, G. D. (2001). The family conference as a focus to improve communication about end-of-life care in the intensive care unit: Opportunities for improvement. Critical Care Medicine, 29, N26–N33. https://doi.org/10.1097/00003246-200102001-00006 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Curtis, J. R., Engelberg, R. A., Wenrich, M. D., Shannon, S. E., Treece, P. D., & Rubenfeld, G. D. (2005). Missed opportunities during family conferences about end-of-life care in the intensive care unit. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, 171, 844–849. https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.200409-1267OC CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- *Cypress, B. S. (2012). Family presence on rounds: A systematic review of literature. Dimensions of Critical Care Nursing, 31, 53–64. https://doi.org/10.1097/dcc.0b013e31824246dd.
- *Davidson, J. E., Powers, K., Hedayat, K. M., Tieszen, M., Kon, A. A., Shepard, E., … Armstrong, D. (2007). Clinical practice guidelines for support of the family in the patient-centered intensive care unit: American College of Critical Care Medicine Task Force 2004–2005. Critical Care Medicine, 35, 605–622. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ccm.0000254067.14607.eb.
- Davydow, D. S., Gifford, J. M., Desai, S. V., Needham, D. M., & Bienvenu, O. J. (2008). Posttraumatic stress disorder in general intensive care unit survivors: A systematic review. General Hospital Psychiatry, 30, 421–434. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.genhosppsych.2008.05.006 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Durbin, C. (2006). Team model: advocating for the optimal method of care delivery in the intensive care unit. Critical Care Medicine, 34, S12–S17. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.CCM.0000199985.72497.D1
- Edwards, J. D., Houtrow, A. J., Vasilevskis, E. E., Rehm, R. S., Markovitz, B. P., Graham, R. J., & Dudley, R. A. (2012). Chronic conditions among children admitted to U.S. pediatric intensive care units. Critical Care Medicine, 40, 2196–2203. https://doi.org/10.1097/ccm.0b013e31824e68cf CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Engel, G. L. (1977). The need for a new medical model: A challenge for biomedicine. Science, 196, 129–136. https://doi.org/10.1016/b978-0-409-95009-0.50006-1 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Engel, G. L. (1980). The clinical application of the biopsychosocial model. American Journal of Family Medicine, 137, 535–544. https://doi.org/10.1176/ajp.137.5.535
- Farmer, A., Williams, V., Velardo, C., Shah, S. A., Yu, L., Rutter, H., … Tarassenko, L. (2017). Self-management support using a digital health system compared with usual care for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: Randomized controlled trial. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 19, e144. https://doi.org/10.2196/jmir.7116 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- *Foster, M., Whitehead, L., & Maybee, P. (2015). The parents’, hospitalized child’s, and health care providers’ perceptions and experiences of family-centered care within a pediatric critical care setting: A synthesis of quantitative research. Journal of Family Nursing, 22, 6–73. https://doi.org/10.1177/1074840715618193.
- Fulbrook, P. (2010). Critical care or intensive care? Connect: The World of Critical Care Nurses, 7, 107. Retrieved from http://en.connectpublishing.org/issues.php?author_id=144
- Gagnon, D. J., & Fraser, G. L. (2013). Pain, sedation, and delirium in the ICU: The pharmacist’s role. Pharmacy Practice News, 1–8. Retrieved from http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.kphanet.org/resource/resmgr/KYP_Provider/PainMedSedation.pdf
- Gardner, S. L., Carter, B. S., Enzman-Hines, M., & Hernandez, J. (2011). Merenstein & Gardner’s handbook of neonatal intensive care (7th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Mosby Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Haupt, M. T., Bekes, C. E., Brilli, R. J., Carl, L. C., Gray, A. W., Jastremski, M. S., … Horst, M. (2003). Guidelines on critical care services and personnel: Recommendations based on a system of categorization of three levels of care. Critical Care Medicine, 31, 2677–2683. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.CCM.0000094227.89800.93 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hillman, K., & Bishop, G. (2004). Organisation of an intensive care unit. In K. Hillman and G. Bishop (Eds.), Clinical intensive care and acute medicine (pp. 7–14). Cambridge, GB: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Hinds, C. J., & Watson, D. (2008). Planning, organization and management. In C. Hinds and D. Watson (Eds.), Intensive care: A concise textbook. New York, NY: Saunders/Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Hodgson, J., Lamson, A., Mendenhall, T., & Tyndall, L. (2014). Introduction to medical family therapy: Advanced applications. In J. Hodgson, A. Lamson, T., Mendenhall, and D. Crane (Eds.), Medical family therapy: Advanced applications (pp. 1-9). New York, NY: Springer.Google Scholar
- *Johnson, J. R., Engelberg, R. A., Nielsen, E. L., Kross, E. K., Smith, N. L., Hanada, J. C., … Curtis, J. R. (2014). The association of spiritual care providers’ activities with family members’ satisfaction with care after a death in the ICU. Critical Care Medicine, 42, 1991–2000. https://doi.org/10.1097/ccm.0000000000000412.
- Katz, J. N., Shah, B. R., Volz, E. M., Horton, J. R., Shaw, L. K., Newby, L. K., … Becker, R. C. (2010). Evolution of the coronary care unit: Clinical characteristics and temporal trends in healthcare delivery and outcomes. Critical Care Medicine, 38, 375–381. https://doi.org/10.1097/ccm.0b013e3181cb0a63 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kaukonen, K., Bailey, M., Suzuki, S., Pilcher, D., & Bellomo, R. (2014). Mortality related to severe sepsis and septic shock among critically ill patients in Australia and New Zealand, 2000-2012. Journal of the American Medical Association, 311, 1308–1316. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2014.2637 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Keenan, S. P., Mawdsley, C., Plotkin, D., Webster, G. K., & Priestap, F. (2000). Withdrawal of life support: How the family feels, and why. Journal of Palliative Care, 16, S40–S44. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/openview/988a67ed6b2d1637108697f84233ca4c/1?pq-origsite=gscholar&cbl=31334
- Kelly, J. M., Rubenfeld, G. D., Masson, N., Min, A., & Adhikari, N. K. (2017). Using selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors in critical care. Critical Care Medicine, 45, e607–e616. https://doi.org/10.1097/ccm.0000000000002308 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kohn, R., Madden, V., Kahn, J. M., Asch, D. A., Barnato, A. E., Halpern, S. D., & Kerlin, M. P. (2017). Diffusion of evidence-based intensive care unit organizational practices. A state-wide analysis. Annals of the American Thoracic Society, 14, 254–261. https://doi.org/10.1513/AnnalsATS.201607-579OC CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Kwiecinska, K. M. (2008). Investigating occupational therapists’ perceived role in the ICU. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com.jproxy.lib.ecu.edu/docview/304329354?accountid=10639
- Lakanmaa, R., Suominen, T., Perttilä, J., Puukka, P., & Leino-Kilpi, H. (2012). Competence requirements in intensive and critical care nursing—Still in need of definition? A Delphi study. Intensive and Critical Care Nursing, 28, 329–336. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.iccn.2012.03.002 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- *Lamas, D. J., Owens, R. L., Bernacki, R. E., & Block, S. D. (2014). Palliative care: A core competency for intensive care unit doctors. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, 189, 1569–1569. https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.201403-0467le.
- Lilly, C. M., Sonna, L. A., Haley, K. J., & Massaro, A. F. (2003). Intensive communication: Four-year follow-up from a clinical practice study. Critical Care Medicine, 31, S394–S399. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.CCM.0000065279.77449.B4 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Malacrida, R., Bettelini, C. M., Degrate, A., Martinez, M., Badia, F., Piazza, J., … Rapin, C. H. (1998). Reasons for dissatisfaction: A survey of relatives of intensive care patients who died. Critical Care Medicine, 26, 1187–1193. Retrieved from http://journals.lww.com/ccmjournal/Abstract/1998/07000/Reasons_for_dissatisfaction__A_survey_of_relatives.18.aspx
- March of Dimes. (2014). Common conditions treated in the NICU. Retrieved May 18, 2017, from http://www.marchofdimes.org/baby/common-conditions-treated-in-the-nicu.aspx
- Mayer-Davis, E. J., Lawrence, J. M., Dabelea, D., Divers, J., Isom, S., Dolan, L., … Wagenknecht, L. (2017). Incidence trends of type 1 and type 2 diabetes among youths, 2002–2012. New England Journal of Medicine, 376, 1419–1429. https://doi.org/10.1056/nejmoa1610187 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- McDonagh, J. R., Elliott, T. B., Engelberg, R. A., Treece, P. D., Shannon, S. E., Rubenfeld, G. D., … Curtis, J. R. (2004). Family satisfaction with family conferences about end-of-life care in the intensive care unit: Increased proportion of family speech is associated with increased satisfaction. Critical Care Medicine, 32, 1484–1488. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.CCM.0000127262.16690.65 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Moore, C. D., Bernardini, G. L., Hinerman, R., Sigond, K., Dowling, J., Wang, D. B., & Shelton, W. (2012). The effect of a family support intervention on physician, nurse, and family perceptions of care in the surgical, neurological, and medical intensive care units. Critical Care Nursing Quarterly, 35, 378–387. https://doi.org/10.1097/cnq.0b013e318268fde3 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Nates, J. L., Nunnally, M., Kleinpell, R., Blosser, S., Goldner, J., Birriel, B., … Sprung, C. L. (2016). ICU admissions, discharge, and triage guidelines: A framework to enhance clinical operations, development of institutional policies and further research. Critical Care Medicine, 44, 1553–1602. https://doi.org/10.1097/CCM.0000000000001856 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- O’Brien, K., Bracht, M., Macdonell, K., Mcbride, T., Robson, K., O’Leary, L., … Lee, S. K. (2013). A pilot cohort analytic study of family integrated Care in a Canadian neonatal intensive care unit. BioMed Central Pregnancy and Childbirth, 13, S12. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2393-13-s1-s12 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Ramnarayan, P., Thiru, K., Parslow, R. C., Harrison, D. A., Draper, E. S., & Rowan, K. M. (2010). Effect of specialist retrieval teams on outcomes in children admitted to paediatric intensive care units in England and Wales: A retrospective cohort study. Lancet, 376, 698–704. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(10)61113-0 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Reader, T. W., Reddy, G., & Brett, S. J. (2017). Impossible decision? An investigation of risk trade-offs in the intensive care unit. Ergonomics, 1–12. https://doi.org/10.1080/00140139.2017.1301573
- Rose, L. (2011). Interprofessional collaboration in the ICU: How to define? Nursing in Critical Care, 16, 5–10. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1478-5153.2010.00398.x
- Ruiz-Ramos, J., Frasquet, J., Romá, E., Poveda-Andres, J. L., Salavert-Leti, M., Castellanos, A., & Ramirez, P. (2017). Cost-effectiveness analysis of implementing an antimicrobial stewardship program in critical care units. Journal of Medical Economics, 20, 652–659. https://doi.org/10.1080/13696998.2017.1311903 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Sarode, V. V., & Hawker, F. H. (2014). Design and organisation of intensive care units. In A. Bernsten and N. Soni (Eds.), Oh’s intensive care manual (7th ed., pp. 3–9). China: Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Sleep Education. (2017). Infant sleep apnea: Symptoms & risk factors. Retrieved from http://www.sleepeducation.org/sleep-disorders-by-category/sleep-breathing-disorders/infant-sleep-apnea/symptoms-risk-factors
- Smith, J. G., Desai, P. P., Sira, N., & Engelke, S. C. (2014). Family-centered developmentally supportive care in the neonatal intensive care unit: Exploring the role and training of child life specialists. Children’s Health Care, 43, 345–368. https://doi.org/10.1080/02739615.2014.880917 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Smolderen, K. G., Spertus, J. A., Gosch, K., Dreyer, R. P., D’Onofrio, G., Lichtman, J. H., … Krumholz, H. M. (2017). Depression treatment and health status outcomes in young patients with acute myocardial infarction. Circulation, 135, 1762–1764. https://doi.org/10.1161/circulationaha.116.027042 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Society of Critical Care Medicine. (2016). Team. Retrieved from http://www.myicucare.org/About-Critical-Care/Pages/Team.aspx
- Stapleton, R. D., Engelberg, R. A., Wenrich, M. D., Goss, C. H., & Curtis, J. R. (2006). Clinician statements and family satisfaction with family conferences in the intensive care unit. Critical Care Medicine, 34, 1679–1685. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.CCM.0000218409.58256.AA CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- *Stremler, R., Haddad, S., Pullenayegum, E., & Parshuram, C. (2017). Psychological outcomes in parents of critically ill hospitalized children. Journal of Pediatric Nursing, 34, 36–43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pedn.2017.01.012.
- Thompson, R. (Ed.). (2009). The handbook of child life: A guide for psychosocial care. Springfield, IL: Charles C. Thomas.Google Scholar
- Turner, D. A., Mink, R. B., Lee, K. J., Winkler, M. K., Ross, S. L., Hornik, C. P., … Goodman, D. M. (2013). Are pediatric critical care medicine fellowships teaching and evaluating communication and professionalism? Pediatric Critical Care Medicine, 14, 454–461. https://doi.org/10.1097/pcc.0b013e31828a746c CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Valentin, A., Ferdinande, P., & ESICM Working Group on Quality Improvement. (2011). Recommendations on basic requirements for intenstive care units: Structural and organizational aspects. Intensive Care Medicine, 37, 1575–1587. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00134-011-2300-7
- *Walker-Vischer, L., Hill, C., & Mendez, S. S. (2015). The experience of Latino parents of hospitalized children during family-centered rounds. Journal of Nursing Administration, 45, 152–157. https://doi.org/10.1097/nna.0000000000000175.
- *Wall, R.J., Engelberg, R.A., Gries, C.J., Glavan, B., & Curtis, J.R. (2007). Spiritual care of families in the intensive care unit. Critical Care Medicine, 35, 1084–1090. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.CCM.0000259382.36414.06.
- Warren, J., Fromm, R. E., Jr., Orr, R. A., Rotello, L. C., Horst, H. M., & American College of Critical Care Medicine. (2004). Guidelines for the inter- and intra- hospital transport of critically ill patients. Critical Care Medicine, 32, 256–262. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.CCM.0000104917.39204.0A CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Weled, B. J., Adzhigirey, L. A., Hodgman, T. M., Brilli, R. J., Spevetz, A., Kline, A. M., … Wheeler, D. S. (2015). Critical care delivery: The importance of process of care and ICU structure to improved outcomes. Critical Care Medicine, 1, 1520–1525. https://doi.org/10.1097/CCM.0000000000000978 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wheelan, S., Burchill, C., & Tilin, F. (2003). The link between teamwork and patients’ outcomes in intensive care units. American Journal of Critical Care, 12, 527–534. Retrieved from http://ajcc.aacnjournals.org/content/12/6/527.full
- Wijdicks, E. F., Sheth, K. N., Carter, B. S., Greer, D. M., Kasner, S. E., Kimberly, W. T., … Wintermark, M. (2014). Recommendations for the management of cerebral and cerebellar infarction with swelling: A statement for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association. Stroke, 45, 1222–1238. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.str.0000441965.15164.d6 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Wilcox, M. E., Chong, C. A., Niven, D. J., Rubenfeld, G. D., Rowan, K. M., Wunsch, H., & Fan, E. (2013). Do intensivist staffing patterns influence hospital mortality following ICU admission? A systematic review and meta-analyses. Critical Care Medicine, 41, 2253–2274. https://doi.org/10.1097/ccm.0b013e318292313a CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Williams-Reade, J., Lamson, A. L., Knight, S. M., White, M. B., Ballard, S. M., & Desai, P. P. (2013a). The clinical, operational, and financial worlds of neonatal palliative care: A focused ethnography. Palliative and Supportive Care, 13, 179–186. https://doi.org/10.1017/s1478951513000916 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Wright, L. M., Watson, W. L., & Bell, J. M. (1996). Beliefs: The heart of healing in families and illness. New York, NY: Basic Books.Google Scholar
- Wunsch, H., Angus, D. C., Harrison, D. A., Linde-Zwirble, W. T., & Rowan, K. M. (2011). Comparison of medical admissions to intensive care units in the United States and United Kingdom. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, 183, 1666–1673. https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.201012-1961oc CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar