From Darkness into Light: Hope for the Future of Women in Leadership in India
Every chapter in this book contains stories and facts that paint a dark picture for women in leadership in India. But they also contain examples of people, policies, and practices where there is hope for the future. In this chapter, I first focused on the many reasons why women face barriers to leadership and why they face a significant pay gap compared with men. I also compared the situation in India with the situation faced by women in other countries, primarily the USA: parenthood, occupational choice, discrimination, and sex bias. I then presented some avenues that present hope for Indian women, though the journey will be difficult: enact new laws and enforce existing laws, focus on youth, equalize college major and occupational choice, develop negotiating skills, demand family-friendly benefits, let employer self-interest take its course, and change the culture. For the light to shine, it will require the commitment and work of men and women.
- AAUW. (2018). The simple truth about the gender pay gap. Washington, DC: AAUW. Retrieved from https://www.aauw.org/aauw_check/pdf_download/show_pdf.php?file=The-Simple-Truth
- Cho, Y., & McLean, G. N. (2017, December 14). From darkness into light: Hope for leadership for Asian women. ILA (International Leadership Association) Intersections. Retrieved from https://intersections.ilamembers.org/member-benefit-access/interface/field-reports/from-darkness-into-light
- Gupta, P. (2013). Wisdom of Gandhi. New Delhi, India: Ocean Paperbacks.Google Scholar
- Modisane, K. T. (2018). Finding the niche to reposition leadership in Arica’s developing economics for the global highway: Review of literature on leadership development programmes—Methods and techniques. Human Resource Development International, 21(1), 3–11. https://doi.org/10.1080/13678868.2017.1344419 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Saliba, C. (2016). On people governance & leadership: The essential paradigm. Beirut, Lebanon: HR Works.Google Scholar
- U.S. Census Bureau. (2017). Current population survey: Annual social and economic supplements. Retrieved from www.census.gov/data/tables/time-series/demo/income-poverty/historical-income-people.html