Nurturing a Culture of Diversity and Inclusion in Resident Clinic
- 364 Downloads
Diversity in the physician workforce has not kept pace with the changing demographics of the United States which is leaving doctors ill equipped to meet the evolving needs of their patients. This chapter provides guidance to residency program and resident clinic leadership on how to foster a culture of diversity and inclusion in the setting of resident clinic. We address how to attract, recruit, and retain a diverse workforce which includes steps to improve provider engagement through better understanding of the needs of the communities they serve. We also address steps to improve cultural competence and how this fosters interprofessional collaboration.
KeywordsDiversity Cultural competence Inclusion Minorities Community Recruitment
- 1.U.S. Census Bureau. Comparative demographic estimates 2015. http://factfinder.census.gov/bkmk/table/1.0/en/ACS/15_1YR/CP05. Assessed 10 Oct 2016.
- 2.Association of American Medical Colleges. Diversity in medical education: facts and figures 2012. https://members.aamc.org/eweb/upload/Diversity%20in%20Medical%20Education_Facts%20and%20Figures%202012.pdf. Assessed 8 Oct 2016.
- 3.Association of American Medical Colleges. Minorities in medicine. https://students-residents.aamc.org/choosing-medical-career/medical-careers/deciding-if-medicine-you/minorities-medicine/. Assessed 11 Oct 2016.
- 12.How diversity can drive innovation. https://hbr.org/2013/12/how-diversity-can-drive-innovation. Assessed 1 Nov 2016.
- 13.Health care’s compelling interest: ensuring diversity in the health-care workforce. https://www.nap.edu/read/10885/chapter/2#21. Assessed 1 Nov 2016.
- 18.Association of American Medical Colleges. 2014 physician specialty data book. https://members.aamc.org/eweb/upload/Physician%20Specialty%20Databook%202014.pdf. Accessed 1 Nov 2016.
- 20.Kretzmann JP, JL MK. Building communities from the inside out: a path towards finding and mobilising a community’s assets. Chicago: ACTA Publications; 1993.Google Scholar
- 21.Services IR. Internal revenue bulletin: 2011–30. 2011.Google Scholar
- 22.Patient and Family Advisory Council. Getting started tool-kit. http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.theberylinstitute.org/resource/resmgr/webinar_pdf/pfac_toolkit_shared_version.pdf. Accessed 30 Oct 2016.
- 23.Annual reports of patient and family advisory councils and committees. http://www.ipfcc.org/advance/topics/annual-reports.html. Accessed 30 Oct 2016.
- 24.Association of American Medical Colleges. Cultural Competence Education. https://www.aamc.org/download/54338/data/culturalcomped.pdf. Accessed 30 Oct 2016.
- 25.Tool for Assessing Cultural Competence Training (TACCT). https://www.aamc.org/initiatives/tacct/. Accessed 30 Oct 2016.
- 26.Tool for Assessing Cultural Competence Training (TACCT) Resource Guide. https://www.aamc.org/linkableblob/54328-2/data/tacctresourceguide.pdf-data.pdf. Accessed 30 Oct 2016.
- 27.Adela Artola Allen Obituary. http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/tucson/obituary.aspx?pid=116033267. Accessed 30 Oct 2016.