Supervising and Supporting Faculty
- 366 Downloads
The clinic director has a challenging role that swings between supervision and support. With changes in health care, it is crucial for the clinic director to understand the nuances of operations, finances, quality, and academics. In addition to clinical work, many clinic faculty are also undertaking academic work and teaching of residents and medical students. Thus, clinic directors are required to provide leadership to a diverse group with varying needs. This chapter addresses some of the vital elements of the role.
KeywordsLeadership Preceptors Supervision
- 1.Summary of workforce trends in internal medicine training—academic years 2005/2006 through 2014/2015. http://www.abim.org/about/statistics-data/resident-fellow-workforce-data.aspx.
- 2.MRCDIG SGIM survey 2017. SGIM.Google Scholar
- 3.American Hospital Association Primary Care Workforce Roundtable. Workforce roles in a redesigned primary care model. http://www.aha.org/content/13/13-0110-wf-primary-care.pdf.
- 6.Hyden M, Wong M. How to measure physician compensation per RVU. http://www.mgma.com/practice-resources/mgma-connection-plus/online-only/2013/august/how-to-measure-physician-compensation-per-rvu. Accessed 14 Aug 2013.
- 12.Lessons for financial success, MGMA chapter 5 Productivity, capacity and staffing. http://www.mgma.com/about/about-mgma-medical-group-management/about-center-for-research/lessons-chapter-5-productivity-capacity-and-staffing.
- 13.Stryker C. More effectively schedule patient visits at your practice. Physicians practice. Practice your way. Blog. http://www.physicianspractice.com/blog/more-effectively-schedule-patient-visits-your-practice. Accessed 19 Jun 2013.
- 14.Institute of Health care Improvement. www.ihi.org.
- 15.The Dartmouth Institute, Microsystem Academy www.clinicalmicrosystem.org.
- 16.Godfrey M, Nelson E, Batalden P, Wasson J, Mohr J, Headrick L. Improving healthcare by improving your microsystem. Dartmouth Medical School. http://clinicalmicrosystem.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/CMAG040104.pdf. Accessed 2 Sep 2003. Version 2: Rev 4/13/2004.
- 18.Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Delivery system reform, medicare payment reform. https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Quality-Initiatives-Patient-Assessment-Instruments/Value-Based-Programs/MACRA-MIPS-and-APMs/MACRA-MIPS-and-APMs.html.
- 24.Cote L, Bordage G. Content and conceptual frameworks of preceptor feedback related to residents’ educational needs. Acad Med. 2014;87(9):1275–81.Google Scholar
- 26.Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. ACGME program requirements for residency education in internal medicine. http://www.acgme.org/acgmeweb/Portals/0/PFAssets/ProgramRequirements/140_internal_medicine_07012015.pdf.
- 27.Department of Health and Human Services—Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Guidelines for teaching physicians, interns, and residents. https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Medicare-Learning-Network-MLN/MLNProducts/Downloads/Teaching-Physicians-Fact-Sheet-ICN006437.pdf.
- 29.Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. The milestones guidebook. http://www.acgme.org/Portals/0/MilestonesGuidebook.pdf.