Results, Refills, and Critical Communication
- 370 Downloads
Timely, accurate, and effective communication of results, provision of medicine refills, and appropriate response to patient messages are essential components of continuity of care. This chapter provides recommendations regarding resident result communication to patients and for handling refill requests of noncontrolled medications.
KeywordsResults Refills Medications Messages
- 1.Iobst W. The internal medicine milestone project. www.acgme.org. [Online] June 2015. http://www.acgme.org/portals/0/pdfs/milestones/internalmedicinemilestones.pdf.
- 2.The Joint Commission. www.jointcommission.org. National Patient Safety Goals Effective January 1, 2016: Hospital Accreditation Program. [Online] 1 Jan 2016. [Cited: 30 Oct 2016]. http://www.jointcommission.org/assets/1/6/2016_NPSG_HAP.pdf.
- 4.Tips to help prevent medical errors: patient fact sheet. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; September 2011. AHRQ Publication No. 11-0089.Google Scholar
- 5.Communicating test results to providers and patients. VHA Directive 1088. October 2015. http://www.va.gov/vhapublications/ViewPublication.asp?pub_ID=3148.
- 6.Lundberg GD. When to panic over abnormal values. MLO Med Lab Obs. 1972;4:47–54.Google Scholar