Experimental Evaluation of 3D Kinect Face Database
- 1k Downloads
3D face recognition has gain a paramount importance over 2D due to its potential to address the limitations of 2D face recognition against the variation in facial poses, angles, occlusions etc. Research in 3D face recognition has accelerated in recent years due to the development of low cost 3D Kinect camera sensor. This has leads to the development of few RGB-D database across the world. Here in this paper we introduce the base results of our 3D facial database (GU-RGBD database) comprising variation in pose (0°, 45°, 90°, −45°, −90°), expression (smile, eyes closed), occlusion (half face covered with paper) and illumination variation using Kinect. We present a proposed noise removal non-linear interpolation filter for the patches present in the depth images. The results were obtained on three face recognition algorithms and fusion at matching score level for recognition and verification rate. The obtained results indicated that the performance with our proposed filter shows improvement over pose with score level fusion using sum rule.
Authors would like to acknowledge the financial assistance from Minister of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) under Visvesvaraya PhD Scheme for carrying out research work at Goa University. Authors are also thankful to Ms. Bhagyada Pai Kane, Ms. Shweta Sawal Desai and Mr. Saurabh Vernekar (Post graduate students, Department of Electronics, 2015 batch) for their support in the RGBD database collection and to all the subjects for their valuable participation.
- 2.Sharma, P.B., Goyani, M.M.: 3D face recognition techniques - a review. Int. J. Eng. Res. Appl. (IJERA) 2(1), 787–793 (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Li, B.Y.L., Mian, A.S., Liu, W., Krishna, A.: Using Kinect for face recognition under varying poses, expressions, illumination and disguise. In: Applications of Computer Vision (WACV) IEEE Workshop, pp. 15–17 (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Huynh, T., Min, R., Dugelay, J.-L.: An efficient LBP-based descriptor for facial depth images applied to gender recognition using RGB-D face data. In: ACCV 2012, Workshop on Computer Vision with Local Binary Pattern Variants, Daejeon, Korea, pp. 5–9 (2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Ajmera, R., Nigam, A., Gupta, P.: 3D face recognition using Kinect. In: ICVGIP 2014, Bangalore, India, pp. 14–18 (2014)Google Scholar
- 10.Hg, R.I., Jasek, P., Rofidal, C., Nasrollahi, K., Moeslund, T.B., Tranchet, G.: An RGB-D database using Microsoft’s Kinect for windows for face detection. In: IEEE 8th International Conference on Signal Image Technology and Internet Based Systems (2012)Google Scholar
- 11.Goswami, G., Bharadwaj, S., Vatsa, M., Singh, R.: On RGB-D face recognition using Kinect. In: 2013 IEEE Sixth International Conference on Biometrics: Theory, Applications and Systems (BTAS) (2013)Google Scholar
- 13.Mao, Y., Cheung, G., Ortega, A., Ji, Y.: Expansion hole filling in depth-image-based rendering using graph-based interpolation. In: IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, pp. 26–31 (2013)Google Scholar
- 15.Wang, D., Zhao, Y., Wang, J., Wang, Z.: A hole filling algorithm for depth image based rendering based on gradient information. In: 2013 Ninth International Conference on Natural Computation (ICNC) (2013)Google Scholar
- 16.Wang, D., Zhao, Y., Wang, Z., Chen, H.: Hole-filling for DIBR based on depth and gradient information. Int. J. Adv. Robot. Syst. 12(2) (2015)Google Scholar
- 17.Feng, L., Po, L.-M., Xu, X., Ng, K.-H., Cheung, C.-H., Cheung, K.-W.: An adaptive background biased depth map hole-filling method for Kinect. In: Industrial Electronics Society, IECON 2013 - 39th Annual Conference of the IEEE (2013)Google Scholar
- 18.Dalal, N., Triggs, B.: Histograms of oriented gradients for human detection. In: 2005 IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR 2005) (2005)Google Scholar
- 20.Aly, S., Abbott, L., White, S., Youssef, A.: VT-KFER - a Kinect-based RGBD+ time dataset for spontaneous and non-spontaneous facial expression recognition. In: 2015 International Conference on Biometrics (ICB) (2015)Google Scholar