Green Design for a Smart Island: Green Infrastructure and Architectural Solutions for Ecotourism in Mediterranean Areas
- 401 Downloads
The Mediterranean islands are characterized by ecosystems and environmental heritage of great value. Human experience is one of the most critical barometers of the success of a built environment. In a perspective of sustainable development, it becomes necessary to stimulate the regenerative capacity of territories and natural resources. The six pilot projects have been developed for a small island in Sardinia, Italy. The island has hosted several prison complexes in the past two centuries, now converted into a national park; since its creation as a national park, its architectural and urban patrimony has been completely abandoned. Its few built-up areas and/or urban developments do have an enormous potential, but past administrations failed in the attempt to offer a commercially attractive model.
The pilot projects focus mainly on the regeneration of the existing prison building applying different strategies to reach a sustainable and self-sufficient island. The idea is to develop six green building pilot projects in order to represent best practice on green-oriented technological solutions, to improve the performance of existing buildings. The extensive use of building-integrated PV and wind turbines, integrated in architectural and urban environments in a noninvasive way, will demonstrate the opportunity and the right way to become a self-energy-smart-green island. Other strategies include a broad water-harvesting system. This includes harvesting rainwater from roofing, natural ventilation, passive cooling, thermal mass, and the use of natural and eco-compatible materials.
KeywordsGreen building Sustainable tourism Smart Island Sustainable architecture Renewable energy Eco-technologies
- AD-Nett, The European Anaerobic Digestion Network. http://www.adnett.org 
- ARUP. (2014). Cities Alive – Rethinking green infrastructures, Foresight. Google Scholar
- Manuale Alcotra. (2013, Luglio). La creazione di Living Lab transfrontalieri. Torino. http://www.alcotra-innovazione.eu 
- Parco Nazionale dell’Asinara. Piano del Parco, Relazione Genarale, resp. Vanni Maciocco. http://www.parcoasinara.org 
- Trombadore, A. (2015). Mediterranean smart cities. Firenze: Edizioni Altralinea. Google Scholar