Green Design for a Smart Island: Green Infrastructure and Architectural Solutions for Ecotourism in Mediterranean Areas
The Mediterranean islands are characterized by ecosystems and environmental heritage of great value. Human experience is one of the most critical barometers of the success of a built environment. In a perspective of sustainable development, it becomes necessary to stimulate the regenerative capacity of territories and natural resources. The six pilot projects have been developed for a small island in Sardinia, Italy. The island has hosted several prison complexes in the past two centuries, now converted into a national park; since its creation as a national park, its architectural and urban patrimony has been completely abandoned. Its few built-up areas and/or urban developments do have an enormous potential, but past administrations failed in the attempt to offer a commercially attractive model.
The pilot projects focus mainly on the regeneration of the existing prison building applying different strategies to reach a sustainable and self-sufficient island. The idea is to develop six green building pilot projects in order to represent best practice on green-oriented technological solutions, to improve the performance of existing buildings. The extensive use of building-integrated PV and wind turbines, integrated in architectural and urban environments in a noninvasive way, will demonstrate the opportunity and the right way to become a self-energy-smart-green island. Other strategies include a broad water-harvesting system. This includes harvesting rainwater from roofing, natural ventilation, passive cooling, thermal mass, and the use of natural and eco-compatible materials.
KeywordsGreen building Sustainable tourism Smart Island Sustainable architecture Renewable energy Eco-technologies
- AD-Nett, The European Anaerobic Digestion Network. http://www.adnett.org 
- ARUP. (2014). Cities Alive – Rethinking green infrastructures, Foresight. Google Scholar
- Manuale Alcotra. (2013, Luglio). La creazione di Living Lab transfrontalieri. Torino. http://www.alcotra-innovazione.eu 
- Parco Nazionale dell’Asinara. Piano del Parco, Relazione Genarale, resp. Vanni Maciocco. http://www.parcoasinara.org 
- Trombadore, A. (2015). Mediterranean smart cities. Firenze: Edizioni Altralinea. Google Scholar