Brain Image Labeling Using Multi-atlas Guided 3D Fully Convolutional Networks
Automatic labeling of anatomical structures in brain images plays an important role in neuroimaging analysis. Among all methods, multi-atlas based segmentation methods are widely used, due to their robustness in propagating prior label information. However, non-linear registration is always needed, which is time-consuming. Alternatively, the patch-based methods have been proposed to relax the requirement of image registration, but the labeling is often determined independently by the target image information, without getting direct assistance from the atlases. To address these limitations, in this paper, we propose a multi-atlas guided 3D fully convolutional networks (FCN) for brain image labeling. Specifically, multi-atlas based guidance is incorporated during the network learning. Based on this, the discriminative of the FCN is boosted, which eventually contribute to accurate prediction. Experiments show that the use of multi-atlas guidance improves the brain labeling performance.
- 2.Wolz, R., Aljabar, P., Hajnal, J.V., Hammers, A., Rueckert, D., The Alzheimer’s Disease Neuroimaging Initiative: LEAP: learning embeddings for atlas propagation. NeuroImage 49(2), 1316–1325 (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Wu, G., Kim, M., Sanroma, G., Wang, Q., Munsell, B.C., Shen, D., The Alzheimer’s Disease Neuroimaging Initiative: Hierarchical multi-atlas label fusion with multi-scale feature representation and labelspecific patch partition. NeuroImage 106, 34–46 (2015)Google Scholar
- 12.Long, J., Shelhamer, E., Darrell, T.: Fully convolutional networks for semantic segmentation. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 3431–3440 (2015)Google Scholar
- 13.Nie, D., Wang, L., Gao, Y., Sken, D.: Fully convolutional networks for multimodality isointense infant brain image segmentation. In: 2016 IEEE 13th International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging (ISBI), pp. 1342–1345. IEEE (2016)Google Scholar
- 15.Landman, B., Warfield, S.: Miccai 2012 workshop on multi-atlas labeling. In: Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention Conference 2012: MICCAI 2012 Grand Challenge and Workshop on Multi-Atlas Labeling Challenge Results (2012)Google Scholar