On Color: The Husserlian Material a Priori
In this paper I present and discuss Husserl’s concept of material a priori truth, particularly with respect to color-concepts, and show that Schlick’s criticism (“Is there a material a priori?”) of Husserl’s notion is based on misunderstandings and misconceptions.
- Benoist, J. (1999). L’a priori conceptuel. Bolzano, Husserl, Schlick. Paris: Vrin.Google Scholar
- Husserl, E. (2001). Logical investigations. London/New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Heelan, P.A. (1988). Space-perception and the philosophy of science. Berkeley/Los Angeles: University of California Press (first paperback edition).Google Scholar
- Schlick, M. (1949). Is there a factual a priori? In H. Feigl & W. Sellars (Eds.), Readings in philosophical analysis. New York: Appleton-Century- Crofts Inc.Google Scholar
- Weyl, H. (1994). The continuum. New York: Dover.Google Scholar