Application of Smart Multidimensional Navigation in Web-Based Systems
In this paper we further develop a new method for implementing multidimensional navigation. This technique is based on advantages of web-based techniques such as site maps, vertical menus and tag clouds. It combines high informational density of tags with structural quality of traditional hierarchical navigation. The result is organization by all org. schemes at once, increased information density and reduced interaction and attention-switching cost. Multidimensional navigation is expected to enhance efficiency of information retrieval especially on websites and web-based systems. It can be however applied also on information systems such as knowledge management or educational systems.
KeywordsMultidimensional navigation Web-based systems Navigational design Organization schemes Web interaction
This paper was written with the financial support of Specific Research Project “Investments within the Industry 4.0 concept” 2017 at Faculty of Informatics and Management of the University of Hradec Kralove, granted to the Department of Economics. We thank Martin Kral for help with organizing usability testing.
- 2.Rosenfeld, L., Morville, P., Arango, J.: Information Architecture: For the Web and Beyond, 4th edn. O’Reilly Media, Newton (2015)Google Scholar
- 3.Lidwell, W., Holden, K., Butler, J.: Universal Principles of Design, Revised and Updated: 125 Ways to Enhance Usability, Influence Perception, Increase Appeal, Make Better Design Decisions, and Teach through Design. Rockport, Beverly (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Kalbach, J.: Designing Web Navigation. O’Reilly Media, Newton (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Hong, L., Chi, E.H., Budiu, R., Pirolli, P., Nelson, L.: SparTag.us: a low cost tagging system for foraging of web content. In: Proceedings of the Working Conference on Advanced Visual Interfaces, AVI 2008, pp. 65–72 (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Golombisky, K., Hagen, R.: White Space is Not Your Enemy: A Beginner’s Guide to Communicating Visually through Graphic, Web and Multimedia Design, 2nd edn. Focal Press, Waltham (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.Fowler, S., Stanwick, V.: Web Application Design Handbook: Best Practices for Web-Based Software. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (2004)Google Scholar
- 13.Smashing Magazine (2016). Retrieved from: http://www.smashingmagazine.com/about/. Accessed 2016