The Hardware Configuration Analysis for HPC Processing and Interpretation of the Geological and Geophysical Data
The problems which arise during the gas-oil exploration process and require high-performance computing resources can be divided in two groups.
The first group is seismic data processing, the second group is 3D reservoir simulating for the exploration process optimization.
For the each group of problems typical applications used in real technological process were chosen, and their behavior was examined on different computational architectures.
Performed analysis shows that the applications of the first group have good scalability potential on the studied computational platforms, meanwhile for the applications of the second group the limit of the performance increasing is reached relatively fast.
KeywordsPerformance analysis Architecture comparison Profiling
This research was supported by the Common State Scientific and Technological Programme “SKIF-Nedra” with funding from Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation.
We thank the JSCC RAS (Joint Supercomputer Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences) for the provided computational resources.
- 1.Rechistov, G., et al.: Simulation and performance study of large scale computer cluster configuration: combined multi-level approach. In: International Conference on Computational Science, Omaha, Nebraska, USA, pp. 1–10 (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.tNavigator Technical Description. http://rfdyn.com/technology/technical/. Accessed 22 Nov 2016
- 5.Paraver: Performance analysis tools: details and intelligence. http://www.bsc.es/computer-sciences/performance-tools/paraver. Accessed 18 Nov 2016
- 6.Paraver: Trace-generation package. https://www.bsc.es/computer-sciences/extrae. Accessed 22 Sept 2016
- 7.Intel MPI Performance Snapshot. Home Page. https://software.intel.com/sites/products/snapshots/mpi-snapshot/. Accessed 21 Nov 2016
- 8.Intel Xeon Processor E5–2697 v3 Technical Specification Page. http://ark.intel.com/ru/products/81059/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2697-v3-35M-Cache-2_60-GHz. Accessed 21 Nov 2016
- 9.Intel Xeon Processor E5–2698 v4 Technical Specification Page. http://ark.intel.com/ru/products/91753/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2698-v4-50M-Cache-2_20-GHz. Accessed 21 Nov 2016
- 10.Intel Xeon Phi Coprocessor 7120A Technical Specification Page. http://ark.intel.com/ru/products/80555/Intel-Xeon-Phi-Coprocessor-7120A-16GB-1_238-GHz-61-core. Accessed 21 Nov 2016
- 11.Intel Xeon Phi Processor 7250 Technical Specification Page. http://ark.intel.com/ru/products/94035/Intel-Xeon-Phi-Processor-7250-16GB-1_40-GHz-68-core. Accessed 21 Nov 2016
- 13.Intel MKL Home Page. https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-mkl. Accessed 29 Nov 2016
- 14.Intel Hyper-Threading Technology. http://www.intel.ru/content/www/ru/ru/architecture-and-technology/hyper-threading/hyper-threading-technology.html. Accessed 29 Nov 2016
- 15.Wright, N.J., Pfeiffer, W., Snavely, A.: Characterizing parallel scaling of scientific applications using IPM. In: The 10th LCI International Conference on High-Performance Clustered Computing. Boulder, CO., 10–12 March 2009Google Scholar