Multi-objective ATM Location Problem in a Metropolitan City
Location problems are considered as an important branch of the strategic decision-making process. It is incontrovertible that finding the optimal locations of Automatic Teller Machines (ATMs) plays a salient role in retaining and enhancing the market share of the banks. In this study, a multi-objective linear mathematical model is developed to minimize the ATMs’ establishment costs, the surcharge costs, the interchange costs, and the number of lost customers simultaneously. In order to demonstrate the applicability of the proposed model, a case study of Tehran metropolis is presented. The General Algebraic Modeling System (GAMS), which is an optimization compiler, is used to solve the problem. The result indicates the establishment location of the new ATM machines by considering the current outsiders’ ATMs.
KeywordsATM location Multi-objective Surcharge cost Interchange cost
- Arabani, A., & Farahani, R. Z. (2012). Facility location dynamics: An overview of classifications and applications. Computers & Industrial Engineering, 62(1), 408–420.Google Scholar
- Bartarinha news portal. (2014). The Number of Iranian Active Banks. Retrieved http://www.bartarinha.ir/.
- Caramia, M., & Dell’Olmo, P. (2008). Multi-objective management in freight logistics. London: Springer. Retrieved http://link.springer.com/10.1007/978-1-84800-382-8_1.Google Scholar
- Cetera, Mike. (2016). “2016 Bankrate checking account survey: ATM fees stay on Record-Setting Streak.” Retrieved http://www.bankrate.com/finance/checking/2016-checking-account-survey-1.aspx.
- Gisbanks. (2014). “The Comprehensive Information System of Baking Network Location.” Retrieved http://www.gisbanks.ir/.
- Hakimi, S. L. (1964). Optimum locations of switching centers and the absolute centers and medians of a graph. Operations Research, 12(3), 450–459. Retrieved https://doi.org/10.1287/opre.12.3.450.
- Karaganis, A., & Mimis, A. (2011). A geographical information system framework for evaluating the optimum location of point-like facilities. Asian Journal of Information Technology, 10(4), 129–135. Retrieved http://www.medwelljournals.com/abstract/?doi=ajit.2011.129.135.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kariv, O. & S. L. Hakimi. (1979). A geographical information system framework for evaluating the optimum location of point-like facilities. Asian Journal of Information Technology, 10(4), 129–135. Retrieved https://doi.org/10.1137/0137040.
- Samt newspaper. (2015). 40680 ATMs and 341 Millions Debit Cards. Samt Newspaper. Retrieved http://www.smtnews.ir/.
- Statistical Center of Iran. (2014). Statistical Center of Iran. Retrieved https://www.amar.org.ir/.