Cultural Aspects of Suicidality Among Youth
Suicide in any culture or society is associated with distress and loss and particularly so with youth suicide given the unfulfilled life and future being lost. However, suicide differs widely across cultures in how frequently it occurs, how openly it is dealt with, which explanatory spiritual and religious beliefs are associated, and the interpersonal and individual context within which it occurs. This chapter provides an introduction to suicidality and suicide within a cultural context, a review of basic terminology to use in this discussion, and a cross section of religious and cultural beliefs across populations. The rising patterns of racial ethnic disparities around suicidality within the United States are introduced with some initial consideration of associated risk factors.
KeywordsSuicide Suicidality Race Ethnicity Culture Religion Spirituality Disparities
American Indian/Alaskan Native
Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders-IV
Major depressive disorder
National Comorbidity Survey Replication-Adolescent Supplement
National Survey on Drug Use and Health
Oppositional defiant disorder
Post-traumatic stress disorder
The authors would like to thank Grace Yoon for being dedicated to underserved youth who experience healthcare disparities. She contributed her valuable time and energy by researching different topics for the chapters and helping us materialize drafts into final version. This project would not have been successful without her support.
- 1.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control. WISQARS leading causes of death reports, National and Regional, 1999–2012. National Center for Health Statistics, National Vital Statistics System; 2014. Web. http://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/leadcaus10_us.html.
- 2.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Deaths: leading causes for 1999. National Center for Health Statistics, National Vital Statistics System, 2001. 49(11).Google Scholar
- 4.Nock MK, Green JG, Hwang I, McLaughlin KA, Sampson NA, Zaslavasky AM, Kessler RC. Prevalence, correlates and treatment of lifetime suicidal behavior among adolescents: results from the National Comorbidity Survey Replication- Adolescent Supplement (NCS-A). JAMA Psychiat. 2013;70(3):300–10.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. Practice parameter for the assessment and treatment of children and adolescents with suicidal behavior. American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2001;40(7 Suppl):24S–51S.Google Scholar
- 8.Fiske AP, Kitayama S, Markus HR, Nisbett RE. Chapter 36: the cultural matrix of social psychology. In: Gilbert DT, Fiske AP, editors. The handbook of social psychology, vol. 2. 4th ed. New York: McGraw–Hill; 1998. p. 915–81.Google Scholar
- 13.Berry JW. Immigration, acculturation, and adaptation. Appl Psychol. 1997;46(1):5–34.Google Scholar
- 14.Zimmerman MA, Ramirez J, Washienko KM, Walter B, Dyer S. Enculturation hypothesis: exploring direct and protective effects among Native American youth. In: HI MC, editor. Resiliency in ethnic minority families: native and immigrant American families. Madison: University of Wisconsin System Center for Excellence in Family Studies; 1995. p. 199–220.Google Scholar
- 16.United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees. Report of the United Nations high commissioner for refugees: covering for the period 1 July 2015–30 June 2016. New York: United Nations; 2016.Google Scholar
- 17.Muslim Public Relations Council. Religious views on suicide: perspectives from world religions. Available at: http://www.mpac.org/programs/anti-terrorism-campaign/islamic-views-regarding-terrorism-and-suicidem/religious-views-on-suicide.php.
- 18.University of Utah, J. Willard Marriott Library. The ethics of suicide digital archive. North American Indigenous Cultures (documented 1635–1970). 2016. Available at https://ethicsofsuicide.lib.utah.edu/region/americas/north-american-native-cultures/.
- 20.Oguejiofor JA. Globalization and the resilience of traditional Igbo paradigms: the case of the Igbo of Nigeria. The humanities and globalization in the third millennium. 2010. p. 15–25.Google Scholar
- 22.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Youth risk behavior surveillance—United States, 2011. MMWR Surveill Summ. 2012;61(no. SS-4). US Department of Health and Human Services. 2012. Web. Available from www.cdc.gov/mmwr/pdf/ss/ss6104.pdf.
- 23.Early K. Religion and suicide in the African-American Community. Westport: Greenwood Press; 1992.Google Scholar
- 29.Wolfgang M. Suicide by means of victim-precipitated homicide. J Clin Exp Psychopathol. 1959;20:335–49.Google Scholar
- 35.Harder HG, Rash J, Holyk T, Jovel E, Harder K. Indigenous youth suicide: a systematic review of the literature. Pimatisiwin J Aborig Indigenous Community Health. 2012;10(1):125–42.Google Scholar
- 36.Lester D. Suicide and culture. World Cult Psychiatry Res Rev. 2008;3:51–68.Google Scholar
- 38.Durkheim E. Suicide: a study in sociology. London: Routledge and Kegan Paul; 1970.Google Scholar
- 43.Pumariega AJ, Rothe EM, Swanson J, Holzer CE, Linskey AO, Quintero-Salinas R. Suicidality and acculturation in Hispanic adolescents. In: Sher L, Vilens A, editors. Immigration and mental health: stress, psychiatric disorders, and suicidal behavior among immigrants and refugees. New York: Nova Science Publishers; 2010. p. 57–70.Google Scholar
- 44.Zayas L, Lester R, Cabassa L, Fortuna L. “Why do so many Latina teens attempt suicide?” A conceptual model for research. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2005;75:275–87.Google Scholar
- 48.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Youth risk behavior surveillance—United States, 2015. MMWR Surveill Summ. 2016;66(no. SS-6506_updated). US Department of Health and Human Services. 2016. Web. Available at: www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/data/yrbs/pdf/2015/ss6506_updated.pdf.
- 63.Fabrega H, Ulrich R, Mezzich JE. Do Caucasian and black adolescents differ at psychiatric intake? Cult Divers Ethn Minor Psychol. 1993;32(2):407–13.Google Scholar