Information Theoretic Measurement of Blood Flow Complexity in Vessels and Aneurysms: Interlacing Complexity Index
- 7.2k Downloads
Haemodynamics is believed to be a crucial factor in the aneurysm formation, evolution and eventual rupture. The 3D blood flow is typically derived by computational fluid dynamics (CFD) from patient-specific models obtained from angiographic images. Typical quantitative haemodynamic indices are local. Some qualitative classifications of global haemodynamic features have been proposed. However these classifications are subjective, depending on the operator visual inspection.
In this work we introduce an information theoretic measurement of the blood flow complexity, based on Shannon’s Mutual Information, named Interlacing Complexity Index (ICI). ICI is an objective quantification of the flow complexity from aneurysm inlet to aneurysm outlets. It measures how unpredictable is the location of the streamlines at the outlets from knowing the location at the inlet, relative to the scale of observation.
We selected from the @neurIST database a set of 49 cerebral vasculatures with aneurysms in the middle cerebral artery. Surface models of patient-specific vascular geometries were obtained by geodesic active region segmentation and manual correction, and unsteady flow simulations were performed imposing physiological flow boundary conditions. The obtained ICI has been compared to several qualitative classifications performed by an expert, revealing high correlations.
KeywordsAneurysms CFD Haemodynamics Flow complexity Mutual information
The work has been partially supported by the project OCEAN (EP/M006328/1) funded by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council.
- 1.Aref, H., Blake, J.R., Budišić, M., Cartwright, J.H.E., Clercx, H.J.H., Feudel, U., Golestanian, R., Gouillart, E., Guer, Y.L., van Heijst, G.F., et al.: Frontiers of chaotic advection. arXiv preprint arXiv:1403.2953 (2014)
- 2.Bogunović, H., Pozo, J.M., Villa-Uriol, M.C., Majoie, C.B.L.M., van den Berg, R., Gratama van Andel, H.A.F., Macho, J.M., Blasco, J., San Román, L., Frangi, A.F.: Automated segmentation of cerebral vasculature with aneurysms in 3DRA and TOF-MRA using geodesic active regions: an evaluation study. Med. Phys. 38, 210 (2011)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Geers, A.J., Larrabide, I., Radaelli, A.G., Bogunovic, H., Kim, M., van Andel, H.A.F.G., Majoie, C.B., VanBavel, E., Frangi, A.F.: Patient-specific computational hemodynamics of intracranial aneurysms from 3D rotational angiography and CT angiography: an in vivo reproducibility study. Am. J. Neuroradiol. 32(3), 581–586 (2011)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.McDaid, A.F., Greene, D., Hurley, N.: Normalized mutual information to evaluate overlapping community finding algorithms. arXiv preprint arXiv:1110.2515 (2011)
- 17.Villa-Uriol, M.C., Berti, G., Hose, D.R., Marzo, A., Chiarini, A., Penrose, J., Pozo, J.M., Schmidt, J.G., Singh, P., Lycett, R., Larrabide, I., Frangi, A.F.: @neurIST complex information processing toolchain for the integrated management of cerebral aneurysms. Interface Focus 1(3), 308–319 (2011)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.VTK community: VTK visualization toolkit (2014). http://www.vtk.org