Characterization of N,N-Dimethylacetamide Impregnated Wood Polymer Nanocomposites (WPNCs)
- 545 Downloads
Raw wood was impregnated with N,N-dimethylacetamide to form fabricated wood polymer nanocomposites (WPNCs). FT-IR spectra showed enhanced absorption at 1419 and then 1267 cm−1 which confirmed the occurrence of a modification reaction. TGA data of the fabricated WPNCs indicated a better thermal stability compared to the raw wood. The dynamic Young’s modulus of the WPNCs was significantly increased compared to raw wood. Through impregnation, SEM micrographs showed porous cells of raw wood was fully filled with the polymer, which led to the better stability of WPNCs. XRD analysis indicated that the crystallinity of WPNCs increased due to the increment in the stiffness as well as the thermal stability of WPNCs.
KeywordsStiffness Modulus of elasticity (MOE) Modulus of rupture (MOR) Wood polymer nanocomposites (WPNCs)
The authors would like to acknowledge the financial support from Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia, for their financial support [Grant no. FRGS/02(05)/655/2007(20)] during the research.
- Adams DG, Choong ET Mcllhenny RC (1970) Bending strength of radiation-produced southern pine wood-plastic combinations. Forest Prod J 20(4):25–28Google Scholar
- Autio T, Miettinen JK (1970) Experiments in Finland on properties of wood-polymer combinations. Forest Prod J 20(3):36–42Google Scholar
- Broido A (1969) A simple, sensitive graphical method of treating thermogravimeric analysis data. J Polym Sci 7(10):1773Google Scholar
- Hamdan S, Talib ZA, Rahman MR, Ahmed AS, Islam MS (2010) Dynamic Young’s modulus measurement of treated and post-treated tropical wood polymer composites (WPC). BioRes 5(1):324–342Google Scholar
- Herrera-France P, Aguilar-Vega M (1997) Effect of fiber treatment on the mechanical properties of LDPE-henequen cellulosic fibre composites. J Appl Polym Sci 10:197–207Google Scholar
- Rahman MR, Hamdan S, Saleh AA, Islam MS (2010) Mechanical and biological performance of sodium mataperiodate impregnated plasticized wood (PW). BioRes 5(2):1022–1035Google Scholar
- Yi C, Tain L, Tang F, Wang L, Zou H, Xu W (2010) Crystalline transition behavior of sisal in cycle process. Polym Compos 31(5):933–938Google Scholar