Physico-mechanical, Morphological, and Thermal Properties of Clay Dispersed Styrene-co-Maleic Acid Impregnated Wood Polymer Nanocomposites
In this study, we evaluate the physical, mechanical, and morphological properties of a clay dispersed styrene-co-glycidyl methacrylate (ST-co-GMA) impregnated wood polymer nanocomposite (WPNC). The WPNC was characterized by Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy (FT-IR), Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM), 3-point bending, and free-vibration testing. The FT-IR results showed that the absorbance at 1730 cm−1 was increased for ST-co-GMA-clay-WPNC compared with other nanocomposites and the raw material. The SEM results showed that ST-co-GMA-clay-WPNC had a smoother surface than other nanocomposites and raw wood. The modulus of elasticity (MOE), modulus of rupture (MOR), and dynamic Young’s moduli (Ed) of WPNCs were considerably increased compared to wood polymer nanocomposites (WPNCs) and raw wood. The raw wood exhibited a higher water uptake (WU) than WPNCs.
KeywordsST-co-GMA Nanoclay Mechanical properties Morphological properties
The authors would like to acknowledge the financial support from Research and Innovation Management Centre, Universiti Malaysia Sarawak under Fund with Grant no. (FRGS/SG02(01)/1085/2013(31)).
- Bodirlau R, Teaca CA (2009) Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy and thermal analysis of lignocellulosic fillers treated with organic anhydrides. Romanian Rep Phy 54(1–2):93–104Google Scholar
- Krestchmann DE (2010) Mechanical properties of wood. Wood Handbook-Wood as an engineering material. Forest Products Laboratory, United States, pp 1–46Google Scholar
- Liu Z, Jiang Z, Fei B, Liu X (2013) Thermal decomposition characteristic of chinese fir. BioRes 8(4):5014–5024Google Scholar
- Pawar PM, Koutaniemi S, Tenkanen M, Mellerowicz EJ (2013) Acetylation of woody lignocellulosic: significance and regulation. Front Plant Sci 21(4):118Google Scholar
- Rahman MR, Hamdan S, Islam MS (2010) Mechanical and biological performance of sodium metaperiodate-impregnated plasticized wood (pw). BioRes 5(2):1022–1035Google Scholar
- Toh HK (1979) Dissertation Loughborough University, 1979Google Scholar