Melbourne and ANU: Nine Productive Years
Four years teaching at the University of Melbourne (including a novel approach to teaching trade theory) were followed by another four years at the Australian National University (ANU) researching on Asian countries (Malaysia and Thailand) and writing many articles. At the ANU, I wrote several articles which made an international impact, and indeed one of them (“Recent Developments in the Theory of International Trade”) played a role in getting me a job offer from Oxford University.
This chapter also has a long essay about my father (who had a heart attack and died during this period). I also write about Dorothy’s family, and about a new addition, Jane, to the family.
- WM Corden, “The Structure of a Tariff System and the Effective Protective Rate”, Journal of Political Economy, 1966.Google Scholar
- WM Corden, “The Geometric Representation of Policies to Attain Internal and External Balance”, Review of Economic Studies, 1960. Google Scholar
- WM Corden, Recent Developments in the Theory of International Trade, Special Papers in International Economics, Princeton University, 1965.Google Scholar
- WM Corden, Australian Economic Policy Discussion: A Survey, Melbourne University Press, 1968.Google Scholar
- WM Corden, with HW Arndt (eds.), The Australian Economy: A Volume of Readings, 1963 FW Cheshire,Google Scholar
- WM Corden, “Australian Tariff Policy: Options for Reform”, First Joseph Fisher Lecture in Commerce at the University of Adelaide, published in Australian Economic Papers December 1967.Google Scholar
- T W Swan, “Longer-Run Problems of the Balance of Payments”, in HW Arndt and WM Corden, The Australian Economy: A Volume of Readings, Cheshire, Melbourne, 1963.Google Scholar
- TH Silcock and E K Fisk (eds.) The Political Economy of Independent Malaya: A Case Study in Development, the Australian National University 1963.Google Scholar
- TH Silcock (ed.) Thailand: Social and Economic Studies in Development, 1967.Google Scholar
- John Hicks, Value and Capital (1939).Google Scholar
- Bertil Ohlin, Interregional and International Trade (1933).Google Scholar