Discovering Infrequent Behavioral Patterns in Process Models
Process mining has focused, among others, on the discovery of frequent behavior with the aim to understand what is mainly happening in a process. Little work has been done involving uncommon behavior, and mostly centered on the detection of anomalies or deviations. But infrequent behavior can be also important for the management of a process, as it can reveal, for instance, an uncommon wrong realization of a part of the process. In this paper, we present WoMine-i, a novel algorithm to retrieve infrequent behavioral patterns from a process model. Our approach searches in a process model extracting structures with sequences, selections, parallels and loops, which are infrequently executed in the logs. This proposal has been validated with a set of synthetic and real process models, and compared with state of the art techniques. Experiments show that WoMine-i can find all types of patterns, extracting information that cannot be mined with the state of the art techniques.
KeywordsInfrequent patterns Process mining Process discovery
This research was supported by the Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (grant TIN2014-56633-C3-1-R) and the Galician Ministry of Education, Culture and Universities (grants GRC2014/030 and accreditation 2016-2019, ED431G/08). These grants are co-funded by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF/FEDER program).
- 1.Weijters, A., van Der Aalst, W.M., De Medeiros, A.A.: Process mining with the heuristics miner-algorithm. Technische Universiteit Eindhoven, Technical report WP 166 1–34 (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Han, J., Pei, J., Mortazavi-Asl, B., Pinto, H., Chen, Q., Dayal, U., Hsu, M.: Prefixspan: mining sequential patterns efficiently by prefix-projected pattern growth. In: Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Data Engineering, pp. 215–224 (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Greco, G., Guzzo, A., Manco, G., Pontieri, L., Saccà, D.: Mining constrained graphs: the case of workflow systems. In: Boulicaut, J.-F., Raedt, L., Mannila, H. (eds.) Constraint-Based Mining and Inductive Databases. LNCS, vol. 3848, pp. 155–171. Springer, Heidelberg (2006). doi: 10.1007/11615576_8CrossRefMATHGoogle Scholar
- 10.Münz, G., Li, S., Carle, G.: Traffic anomaly detection using k-means clustering. In: GI/ITG Workshop MMBnet (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Lo, D., Cheng, H., Han, J., Khoo, S.C., Sun, C.: Classification of software behaviors for failure detection: a discriminative pattern mining approach. In: Proceedings of the 15th ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, pp. 557–566. ACM (2009)Google Scholar
- 17.Leung, C.K.S.: Monotone Constraints. In: Liu, L., Özsu, M.T. (eds.) Encyclopedia of Database Systems, pp. 1769–1769. Springer, Boston (2009)Google Scholar