Weak, Strong and Dynamic Controllability of Access-Controlled Workflows Under Conditional Uncertainty
A workflow (WF) is a formal description of a business process in which single atomic work units (tasks), organized in a partial order, are assigned to processing entities (agents) in order to achieve some business goal(s). A workflow management system must coordinate the execution of tasks and WF instances. Usually, the assignment of tasks to agents is accomplished by external constraints not represented in a WF. An access-controlled workflow (ACWF) extends a classical WF by explicitly representing agent availability for each task and authorization constraint. Authorization constraints model which users are authorized for which tasks depending on “who did what”. Recent research has addressed temporal controllability of WFs under conditional and temporal uncertainty. However, controllability analysis for ACWFs under conditional uncertainty has never been addressed before. In this paper, we define weak, strong and dynamic controllability of ACWFs under conditional uncertainty, we present algorithmic approaches to address each of these types of controllability, and we synthesize execution strategies that specify which user has been (or will be) assigned to which task.
KeywordsAccess-controlled workflow Uncertainty Dynamic controllability AI-based security
- 4.Combi, C., Gambini, M., Migliorini, S., Posenato, R.: Representing business processes through a temporal data-centric workflow modeling language: an application to the management of clinical pathways. IEEE Trans. Syst. Man Cybern. Syst. 44(9), 1182–1203 (2014). doi: 10.1109/TSMC.2014.2300055CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Combi, C., Posenato, R., Viganò, L., Zavatteri, M.: Access controlled temporal networks. In: Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Agents and Artificial Intelligence (ICAART), pp. 118–131 (2017). doi: 10.5220/0006185701180131
- 6.Combi, C., Viganò, L., Zavatteri, M.: Security constraints in temporal role-based access-controlled workflows. In: CODASPY 2016, pp. 207–218 (2016). doi: 10.1145/2857705.2857716
- 11.Hollingsworth, D.: The workflow reference model (1995). http://www.wfmc.org/standards/model.htm
- 14.Morris, P.H., Muscettola, N., Vidal, T.: Dynamic control of plans with temporal uncertainty. In: IJCAI 2001, pp. 494–502 (2001)Google Scholar