Remote Laboratories: For Real Time Access to Experiment Setups with Online Session Booking, Utilizing a Database and Online Interface with Live Streaming
This paper discusses the physical implementation of lab experiments that are designed to be accessed from any web-browser using clientless remote desktop gateway apache guacamole with the support of remote desktop protocol. Which also facilitates live streaming of the experiments using axis cgi api, online slot booking for students to book their respective sessions and apache Cassandra database for users details storage.
Here, we shall address all aspects related to the system architecture and infrastructure needed to establish a Real time Remote access system for a given machine (in this case being electric machines - which otherwise could be extended to any machine). This is being built to evaluate the system feasibility to implement a complete machine health monitoring system with remote monitoring and control capability, though the current implementation is aimed at students being able to perform the experiments related to machines lab.
KeywordsRemote labs Engineering laboratory experiments Apache guacamole Remote desktop protocol Live streaming Axis cgi api Online slot booking Apache Cassandra database
- 1.Wang, S.-T., Chang, H.-Y.: Development of web-based remote desktop to provide adaptive user interfaces in cloud platform. World Acad. Sci. Eng. Technol. Int. J. Comput. Electr. Autom. Control Inf. Eng. 8(8), 1572–1577 (2014)Google Scholar
- 3.Tsai, C.-Y., Huang, W.-L.: Design and performance modeling of an efficient remote collaboration system. Int. J. Grid Distrib. Comput. 8(4) (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.Port Forwarding. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_forwarding
- 7.Introduction to A-record. https://support.dnsimple.com/articles/a-record/
- 9.Apache Tomcat. http://tomcat.apache.org/
- 10.Gallardo, A., Richter, T., Debicki, P., et al.: A rig booking system for on-line laboratories. In: IEEE EDUCON Education Engineering– Learning Environments and Ecosystems in Engineering Education Session T1A, p. 6 (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Kalyan Ram, B., Arun Kumar, S., Mallikarjuna Sarma, B., Bhaskar, M., Chetan Kulkarni, S.: Remote software laboratories: facilitating access to engineering softwares online. In: 13th International Conference on Remote Engineering and Virtual Instrumentation (REV), p. 394 (2016)Google Scholar
- 13.Kalyan Ram, B., Hegde, S.R., Pruthvi, P., Hiremath, P.S., Jackson, D., Arun Kumar, S.: A distinctive approach to enhance the utility of laboratories in Indian academia. In: 12th International Conference on Remote Engineering and Virtual Instrumentation (REV), p. 235 (2015)Google Scholar