NuSys: Collaborative Insight Extraction on Shared Workspaces
Gaining insights – the act of acquiring a deep and intuitive understanding of a thing or concept – is often achieved through discussions in small work groups. Students frequently conduct informal study group sessions where scholarly material is revisited, and questions and ideas are bounced back and forth as a way to gain and present new insights. NuSys is a software framework that enhances how groups develop ideas when a shared workspace on an interactive whiteboard (IWB) and smaller devices driven by pen & touch gestures replace a physical whiteboard as the collaborative focal point. The core component of our system provides a fluid interface to an unbounded two-dimensional workspace, where study material can be seamlessly imported, laid out, grouped, annotated, linked and tagged collaboratively on multiple clients in real-time and in a free-form fashion.
The author thanks Andy van Dam, Bob Zeleznik, and Rosemary Simpson for their valuable feedback and discussions, and all undergraduate researchers who have contributed to this project.
- 1.Bernstein, M.: Can we talk about spatial hypertext. In: Proceedings of the 22nd ACM Conference on Hypertext and Hypermedia, pp. 103–112. ACM (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Erskine, A.: Culture and power in ptolemaic Egypt: the museum and library of Alexandria. Greece and Rome (second series) 42(1), 38–48 (1995)Google Scholar
- 4.Microsoft: Onenote. http://www.onenote.com. Retrieved on 10 Jan 2016
- 5.Microsoft: Sway. http://www.sway.com. Retrieved on 10 Jan 2016
- 6.Rayward, W.B.: Visions of Xanadu: Paul Otlet (1868–1944) and hypertext. J. Am. Soc. Inf. Sci. (1986–1998) 45(4), 235 (1994)Google Scholar
- 8.Storyboard: Storyboard. http://www.storyboardthat.com. Retrieved on 10 Jan 2016
- 9.Wright, W., Schroh, D., Proulx, P., Skaburskis, A., Cort, B.: The sandbox for analysis: concepts and methods. In: Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pp. 801–810. ACM (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Zeleznik, Bob: Worktop. http://cs.brown.edu/research/ptc/worktop/. Retrieved on 10 Jan 2016