Insights from Exploration of Engaging Technologies to Teach Reading and Writing: Story Baker
To engage children in learning to write, we spent several years exploring tools designed to engage children in creating and viewing stories. Our central focus was the automatic generation of animations. Tools included a digital stylus for writing and sketching, and in some cases simple robots and tangible, digitally-recognized objects. In pilot studies, children found the prototypes engaging. In 2007, a decision not to develop new hardware was made, but at today’s greatly reduced tablet cost and with more capable touch and pen technology, these experiments could inspire further research and development.
This work would not have been possible without Chuck Thacker, Craig Mundie, Margaret Johnson, Takako Aikawa, Lee Schwartz, Bill Buxton, Jonathan Grudin, Howard Phillips, Tom Steinke, Duncan, John D. Bransford, Diana Sharp, Heinz Schuller, Margaret Winsor, Allison Druin, Tim Kannapel, Arin Goldberg, Keith Daniels, Xiang Cao, Anoop Gupta, Chris Quirk, Bill Dolan, John Paquin, Neal Noble, Chad Essley, Lindsey Sparks, John Manferdelly, Xiaolong Li, the children participating in studies, and perhaps others I forgot to list.
- 1.Aikawa, T., Schwartz, L., Pahud, M.: Nlp Story Maker (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Cptte demo page. https://aka.ms/mpahud-CPTTE2016-demos/
- 3.Dc Comics’ “scribblenauts”. www.scribblenauts.com
- 4.Lee, J.C., Forlizzi, J., Hudson, S.E.: The kinetic typography engine: an extensible system for animating expressive text. In: Proceedings of the 15th Annual ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology, pp. 81–90. ACM (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Loop, C., Blinn, J.: Resolution independent curve rendering using programmable graphics hardware. In: ACM Transactions on Graphics (TOG), vol. 24, pp. 1000–1009. ACM (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Macro actions. https://aka.ms/mpahud-CPTTE2016-MacroActions/
- 9.Oviatt, S.: The design of future educational interfaces. Routledge, New York (2013)Google Scholar
- 10.Pixelsense table. https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-surface-pixelsense-table
- 11.Strapparava, C., Valitutti, A., Stock, O.: Dances with words. In: IJCAI, pp. 1719–1724 (2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Visual sentence API documentation. https://aka.ms/mpahud-CPTTE2016-VisualSentenceAPI/