ProDecAdmin: A Game Scenario Design Tool for Software Project Management Training
Teaching Software Project Management (SPM) for Information Technology (IT) learners is a relevance issue. The necessity of teaching SPM in a highly practical way moves trainers towards the use of new methods and techniques such as simulations, serious games or gamification strategies. The majority of the existing serious games for SPM do not offer flexibility, in terms of the ability to provide and dynamically change game scenarios during the life of the serious game, and not allow assessing learners’ new skill automatically. In this paper, we introduce the administration tool of the serious game ProDec, that allow trainers to design the game scenarios of the game trying to overcome the lacks found in the scope of serious games for SPM.
KeywordsGamification Serious game Game scenario design Software Project Management Education
This work has been partially supported by the Spanish Ministry of Science and Technology with AEI/FEDER/UE funds (grants TIN2013-46928-C3-2-R and TIN2016-76956-C3-3-R) and the Andalusian Plan for Research, Development and Innovation (grant TIC-195).
- 1.ACM/IEEE-CS Joint Task Force on Computing Curricula: Computer Science Curricula 2013. ACM Press and IEEE Computer Society Press (2013)Google Scholar
- 2.Kosa, M., Yilmaz, M., O’Connor, R., Clarke, P.: Software engineering education and games: a systematic literature review. J. Univ. Comput. Sci. 22(12), 1558–1574 (2016)Google Scholar
- 4.Werbach, K., Hunter, D.: For the Win: How Game Thinking can Revolutionize Your Business. Wharton Digital Press, Philadelphia (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Sheth, S.K., Bell, J.S., Kaiser, G.E.: Increasing student engagement in software engineering with Gamification (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Abt, C.: Serious Games, Lanhan, MD: University Press of America (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Petri, G., von Wangenheim, C.G.: How games for computing education are evaluated? A systematic literature review. Comput. Edu. (2017). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2017.01.004. (In Press, Accepted Manuscript)
- 14.Navarro, E.O., Hoek, A.V.D.: SimSE: an interactive simulation game for software engineering education. In: Proceedings of the 7th IASTED International Conference on Computers and Advanced Technology in Education, Kauai, Hawaii (2004)Google Scholar
- 17.Calderón, A., Ruiz, M.: Bringing real-life practice in software project management through a simulation-based serious game. In: Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Computer Supported Education, Barcelona, Spain (2014)Google Scholar
- 18.Calderón, A., Ruiz, M.: ProDec: a serious game for software project management training. In: Proceedings of the 8th ICSEA, Venice, Italy (2013)Google Scholar
- 19.Calderón, A., Ruiz, M.: Coverage of ISO/IEC 12207 software lifecycle process by a simulation-based serious game. In: Proceedings of spice, Dublin, Ireland (2016)Google Scholar