Early Change: Description of a Project for Continuing Professional Development
- 562 Downloads
This chapter provides detailed descriptions of the basic purpose, the goals, the methodology, the participants, and the philosophy of the Early Change project. It presents information about the project’s structure, consortium, and basic aims and discusses the methodology, the instruments, and the training procedures that were implemented during the course of the project. It ends with a description of the project’s results, the deliverables, and the outputs as well as its potential for innovation and the conclusions drawn from the overall experience.
KeywordsEarly change project Early childhood education Professional development ECERS-R
- Clarke-Stewart, K. A., Vandell, D. L., Burchinal, M., O ‘Brien, M., & McCartney, K. (2000). Do features of child care homes affect children’s development? Unpublished paper, University of California, Irvine.Google Scholar
- Early, D. M., Bryan, D. M., Pianta, R. C., Clifford, R. M., Burchinal, M. R., Ritchie, S., et al. (2006). Are teachers’ education, major, and credentials related to classroom quality and children’s academic gains in pre-kindergarten? Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 21, 174–195.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fiene. (2002). Thirteen indicators of quality child care: Research update. Washington, DC: Office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation, US Department of Health and Human Services.Google Scholar
- Grammatikopoulos, V., Gregoriadis, A., Liukkonen, J., Zachopoulou, E., Gamelas, A., Leal, T., Pessanha, M., & Barros, S. (2014). Evaluation of early childhood education quality across Europe. In C. M. Stracke, U.‐D. Ehlers, A. Creelman, & T. Shamarina‐Heidenreich (Eds.), Changing the trajectory: Quality for opening up education (pp. 82–91), Official Proceedings of the International EIF/LINQ Conference 2014 held in Crete, Greece, on May 7–9, 2014. Berlin: Logos Verlag.Google Scholar
- Harms, T., Clifford, M., & Cryer, D. (1998). Early childhood environment rating scale, revised edition (ECERS-R). Williston, VT: Teachers College Press.Google Scholar
- Harms, T., Clifford, M., & Cryer, D. (2005). Early childhood environment rating scale, revised edition (ECERS-R). Williston, VT: Teachers College Press.Google Scholar
- MAEOPP. (2014). What is best education practice? MAEOPP Best Education Practices Center. Retrieved June 28, from, http://www.besteducationpractices.org/what-is-a-best-practice/.
- OECD. (2001b). Policy challenges for early childhood education and care provision across OECD countries. A report presented at the Stockholm Conference Report, launched at an international conference in Stockholm, June 13–15th, 2001, pp. 1–3. http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/12/41/1903189.pdf.
- OECD. (2006). Starting strong II—Early childhood education and care. Paris: OECD (Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development).Google Scholar
- Peisner-Feinberg, E., & Burchinal, M. (1997). Relations between preschool children’s child-care experiences and concurrent development: The cost, quality, and outcomes study. Merrill-Palmer Quarterly, 43, 451–477.Google Scholar
- Sylva, K., Melhuish, E. C., Sammons, P., Siraj-Blatchford, I. & Taggart, B. (2004). The effective provision of pre-school education (EPPE) project: Final report (London, DfES). London: University of London, Institute of Education.Google Scholar
- Sylva, K., Siraj-Blatchford, I., & Taggart, B. (2010). The early childhood environment rating scales: Curricular extension to the ECERS-R (3rd ed.). Stoke: Trentham Books.Google Scholar
- Towns, D. P., & Serpell, Z. (2004). Successes and challenges in triangulating methodologies in evaluations of exemplary urban schools. In V. G. Thomas & F. I. Stevens (Eds.), Co-constructing a contextually responsive evaluation framework (pp. 49–62). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Zachopoulou, E., Grammatikopoulos, V., Gregoriadis, A., Gamelas, A., Leal, T., Pessanha, M. et al. (2014). Comparing aspects of process quality in six European early childhood educational settings. In Proceedings of ICERI 2013 Conference (pp. 4218–4224). November 18–20, 2013, Seville, Spain.Google Scholar