- 550 Downloads
The Introduction chapter is designed to familiarize our readers with the context and the concept of the subject dealt with in the present book. It highlights the importance of early childhood education and care in a child’s development and surveys the level of attention that high-quality early childhood education services are attracting on the part of international institutes and organizations. It also indicates the scope and main objectives of the book, which include sharing the experience of a European-funded project that dealt with the professional development of early childhood teachers. More specifically, the book attempts to present an alternative approach to the professional development of early childhood teachers based on promoting self-evaluation skills and the use of observation rating scales toward that end. Follows brief descriptions of each of the nine included chapters.
KeywordsEarly childhood education Professional development Self-evaluation Observation rating scales ECERS-R
- Burchinal, M., Magnuson, K., Powell, D., & Soliday Hong, S. (2015). Early childcare and education. In M. H. Bornstein & T. Leventhal (Eds.), Handbook of child psychology and developmental science. Vol. 4 Ecological settings and processes (pp. 223–258). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Campbell-Barr, T. (2016). Quality early childhood education and care-the role of attitudes and dispositions in professional development. Early Child Development and Care, doi: 10.1080/03004430.2016.1150273.
- Edwards, S., & Nuttall, J. (2009). Introduction. In S. Edwards & J. Nuttall (Eds.), Professional learning in early childhood settings (pp. 1–8). Rotterdam: Sense Publishers.Google Scholar
- European Commission. (2007). Key competences for lifelong learning European reference framework. Belgium: European Commission.Google Scholar
- European Commission. (2011). Early childhood education and care: Providing all our children with the best start for the world of tomorrow. Brussels: Communication from the Commission. COM (2011) 66 final. Retrieved from http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=celex:52011DC0066.
- Harms, T., Clifford, M., & Cryer, D. (2005). Early childhood environment rating scale (Rev. ed. (ECERS-R) ed.). Williston, VT: Teachers College Press.Google Scholar
- Penn, H. (2011). Quality in early childhood services. Berkshire: McGraw Hill.Google Scholar